Thread: Extension - Next Page

User

Default Extension - Next Page

Hello, I´ve something like an "extension-suggestion". Since I´m not capable to build own extension I´d like to propose an extension here.
    Ever since I´m using Tl I build Artists Portfolios for my friends. Most of them look the same: they have a category with a certain year/technique in which they post their works.

For example:

- Work 1
    - Work 2
    - Work 3
    - Work 4

Usually the page "2009" forwards to the page "Work 1". A user clicks "2009" and he sees the most recent work.
    Here´s the Problem:
    When the artists makes a new work and publishes it ("new work") he has to change the forwarding of "2009" to the new page. If he doesn´t do that, it would look like this:

- new work
    - Work 1
    - Work 2
    - Work 3
    - Work 4

I often thought it would be useful to have an option in the internal forwarding settings that is called "next page". it would automatically fwd the user to the next child or following page.
    also, having this as a modul would be very nice. you can click through all projects by clicking the "next page" button which automatically always chooses the next child page/following page.

I think this would be a very usefull thing.
    But if this already works with certain workarounds that I just didn´t know about, please let me know!

Best regards,
    Valentin

User

Default Re: Extension - Next Page

mmm maybe this can be done with catalog extension module. Scare, Thyon what do you think?
    ===
    Fernabel

User

Well, using catalog would require too much work with little added value. Adding new inserttags would be better IMHO. Something like {{link::firstchild}}, {{link::lastchild}}, {{link::nextsibling}}, {{link:revsibling}}, {{link::firstsibling}}, {{link::lastsibling}}, {{link:arent}} and corresponding {{link_url}} tags.
    S.C.A.R.E

Experienced user

I believe Leo already implemented this?

User

Did he? I looked at the last version and it is not implemented there. Maybe in trunk?
    S.C.A.R.E

Experienced user

scare, I wasn't talking about the inserttags, but the feature in general.

Have you looked at the 2.7 feature:
    - Added module "book navigation"

This generates a page-like nav, e.g. UP, Prev, Next. So you can navigate pages like well, pages in a book.

User

Hi Thyon,
    I think Valentin means something different: when you set up an internal redirect page, you have to choose a target page for the redirect (else you'll get an error in the frontend calling the redirect page). Valentin wants the redirect to aim automatically at the first child page of the redirect page, when no target is chosen.

Not a bad idea, could be done with an extension, I think. frontend > PageRedirect would have to be extended and possibly backend > dca > tl_page (to make it an option in the backend). I have a customer, who has difficulties with that. Maybe I give it a try...

cheers
    Antipitch

Experienced user

But that module already contains the code to retrieve the next page, eg child. It can just be hacked out.

User

Sorry, I meant the frontend > PageForward class. Can't see any child-page fallback in there though, generate() looks for the jumpTo entry or dies. So where would that
    that module already contains the code to retrieve the next page
    be (didn't look at the dca code yet)?

cheers
    Antipitch