Thread: Isotope E-commerce

Default Isotope E-commerce

Hi All,

We've decided that we're going to make an informal announcement today about our new e-commerce package built specifically for TYPOLight. It is called "Isotope e-commerce". This package will be offered as an open source core package with some great features that we're excited about and are sure you will be pleased with.

We're going to open up a limited beta on our package in September, and right now we're shooting for Mid-September to do it. If you are interested in participating in our beta, you can email/pm me here, although we will probably have an official beta signup page elsewhere soon.

Overview
    We've taken a radically different approach as compared to typical ecommerce packages. We decided that, in order to get a true seamless integration, we needed to a) NOT reinvent the wheel in any way possible and b) leverage TYPOlight's great features that we love so much to create a new hybrid CMS/E-commerce solution. I don't have time to go deeper into it now, so let me just itemize some of the features we're going to give you in the package and explain briefly why we did it that way.

Some Examples
    - Products are related to pages which function as categories. This is one major change that we think makes great sense. So, you are wondering - Why did we do this? Because by associating products with pages, we can utilize all the great features of pages and still have a functioning category. As a bonus, the product listing module can be placed in a layout only once and then that layout can be associated with any page and voila! You have a product listing specific to that page (category). Of course, this also means that you can utilize standard navigation modules. We didn't want to reinvent the wheel on that as you can imagine.

- No additional knowledge/new processes to learn. If you know TYPOlight, then you already know Isotope e-commerce. Products are listed using a product listing module, Product details are read using a product reader module, just like the News Module

- Emphasis on flexibility. One thing we never liked in all the other packages we have ever used is that making basic changes - calling in extra information, or creating configurable products - was just too hard. It often required some form of code adjustment to add a new product option, for example. We've done everything we can to reduce the necessity for this type of work. Handling additional product information or creating product options is very simple, in short.

- Emphasis on image and media asset management - We've done a lot of work utilizing GD library for image management - auto scaling and caching, for example, is a feature.

- Designer-friendly templates. Again, TYPOlight makes templating relatively easy. We've made sure that our skeleton templates, almost completely div-based, also follow the example set by TYPOlight.

- Developer-friendly framework. We're in the process of adding hooks where useful to allow other developers to be able to integrate their own work without modifying our core code.. Again this powerful concept came from TYPOlight.

- Emphasis on TYPOlight coding conventions. We've coded in the same style as the core framework of TYPOlight.

- International currency and language support. We've made sure that we enabled currency and language to be handled correctly both in the front end and back end.

- Shipping and Payment module management. So far, we've developed payment gateways for Authorize.net, Swiss Postfinance, and basic Paypal. Paypal pro to come as soon as someone offers to do it, or else we get around to it. These gateways are managed in the back end. In addition, options for each of these module types can be restricted by member group, by country, and soon by region and even postal code. The same goes with shipping module management, and our stock shipping module is extremely flexible and intelligent, we're quite proud of how it works :mrgreen:

- Tax class management. Not much to say except, "it's there". :D It supports even the complex regional and zip-code based tax rules of the United States (which is where we live).

- Email manager. A great module that allows you the ability to create HTML & Text emails and configure those, complete with insertTags for order & customer information. With language fallback.

- Other features - The basics - store configuration, order management, Invoice to PDF using tcpdf library, a standard checkout module, etc. etc. etc.

While I do not have actual access to our package to offer you at this time (sorry!!!), I can point you in the direction of two shops that are running live early beta prototypes of our package. The earliest is at http://www.kolbo.com and our most recent and much more developed is running at http://www.cdss.org.

I know I've forgotten many things here, but we will be producing some webcasts to talk more about Isotope e-commerce, our approach and the features it has in the near future. Our team consists of Blair Winans, "winanscreative" on the forum, me, (Fred Bliss), and our other contributor has been Andreas Schempp, and he's done more for this package than he would like to receive credit for!

Note
    Please direct all questions to me or Blair "winanscreative" on the forums. This project has been sponsored by Winans Creative, which also happens to be where I work as well.

Look forward to hearing from all of you!

Fred

imported_Nina
    Gast

Default Re: Isotope E-commerce

Thanks for the information. I crossposted your information on the German boardtoo, because there are a many people interested in shop-solutions as far as I know.

Hi Nina,

Thank you!!!

Fred

Experienced user

This is very exciting news, Fred! I know you've been working on this for a long time. Glad to hear it's almost ready for people to try. While words are nice, screenshots are even nicer. Can you post a few so we can get an idea of key features such as configuration, order management, etc?

Hi Ben,

I'll see what I can do to get some up ASAP. Blair and I are going to put together a webcast on Friday to go over some features as well!

Fred

User

This is great news, can't wait to hear more, good work guys.
    360fusion: Virtual Tours - Web Design
    Social Media: Twitter - Facebook Page

Experienced user

Hi Fred & Co

After all the long hours of chat sessions, coming up with new ideas, integrating existing ideas and basing some of your work on the catalog and getting people like andreas to help with the testing -- it's very exciting to see your post finally hitting the forum. I'm very glad that you've decided to show-and-tell.

I hope to implement Isotope solution soon for my clients.

Well Done to your team! Now let's get that repository upload going!
    :D :D :D

Hi John,

Yes! Thanks for the kind words. I would definitely like to point out to everyone that a major component of the functionality in the back end was based on Catalog code and a new and amazing driver John (Thyon) built that dynamically writes DCA files. Its awesome!

With that being said, I'm back to coding

New user

Hey Fred - It's about time :D

I remember talking to you about this back in November 08 - Development seems to have moved on pretty quickly and I can't wait to get my hands on it and hopefully sooner rather than later ditch that over weight clunker Magento.

Nigel
    Internet Marketing is both measurable and accountable.
    On Twitter Marketing Guy
    On LinkedIn Nigel Copley
    On Facebook Caroco Marketing

Hi Nigel,

Interesting to note that we've had primarily one person with the part time help of a second on the development tasks and seem to have gone through a quicker dev cycle than Magento did. Of course, we've benefitted from the simplicity that the TYPOlight framework offers over large "enterprise class" frameworks, like Varien's framework that sits atop the Zend framework. Sure, its great to have a rocket, but if you don't have the team to launch the rocket, you're not going to get very far ;D

Very good project.

ps. Set the Language fallback option.
    I have my browser on italian language and on the isotopeecommerce.com and kolbo.com web site TL display "No pages found"
    Paolo B.
    Contao ambassador
    ContaoCms.it - Sito di riferimento per la comunità italiana

Hi Paolo,

Thanks for the tip and encouragement! We're very excited about it! :D

New user

When/Where can it be downloaded and tried?

Hi Kberov,

We're going to commence the beta test mid-september. If you are interested in that, PM or email me through the forums with direct contact information and we can go from there.

Our goal is to have the product in public beta or release sometime before the holiday season. We have about 10 beta testers signed up, but we can always use more. The limited beta will probably be restricted to about 25 people just so we can approach it in a reasonably structured manner to cover everything we need to cover.

We'll be producing some webcasts coming up this week or the next as well to go over the basic ideas and approach behind the project.

Take care,

Fred

Default Isotope E-commerce Into Screencast is up!

Hi all,

We've produced an introductory screencast about Isotope E-commerce!

http://www.isotopeecommerce.com/screencasts.html

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

User

Great screencast, can't wait to get my hands on the beta!!

Will be interested to see how payment and delivery integration is handled.

In anticipation...

Gary.

Hi Gary,

With the help of Andreas, payment and shipping inherit a basic framework from abstract "Shipping" and "Payment" classes and within those, additional logic can be placed to handle each systems unique approaches. We have a set flow to those classes though, so that the amount of work to be done to integrate a different payment of shipping module is relatively easy, esp. if you are familiar with the framework. It should be no more difficult than creating a module for TYPOlight, and we have strived to meet that self-imposed requirement.

We'll have more screencasts coming up to detail specific features both front & back end as well as on the code side of things.

Take care!

Fred

User

Looking good, Can't wait to see more.

Good work
    Ben

Just a reminder to all - tomorrow we will be sending an email and an invite to all who signed up for the beta test to begin! We're excited to have you involved!

Fred

I didn't receive any mail for the beta testing

Rgds,
    Frederick

Hi Frederick

I had been so busy this past week that I did not check for additional signups. What we will do is add new sign-ups once per week as it takes a little time to do them. You will receive your email today. Thank you for joining the beta group!!!

Fred

New user

Isotope e-commerce is currently in beta.
    Do you know if the development is well advanced? when will the stable version?
    I have a project that should fall early this year, for which I'd like to use e-commerce Isotope hoping it will be available...
    @+

User

Will a new beta be out this week? I hope so. :D

http://twitter.com/isotopecommerce/statuses/7448922862

Greetings,

Excellent initiative, congratulations and we look forward to the beta
    to contribute to the project.
    Contao is the best CMS there is. Support your community in Spanish
    http://www.contaoespanol.com
    I do not speak English but I try to help with a translator

New user

Did i miss the beta this week?!
    Where to get?!
    Please post here where to get the beta.

Hey guys -

Just FYI we are working furiously to get the new beta version out to everyone soon. If you want an advance copy, feel free to PM fbliss or myself and we can give you a link. We are trying to get organized on our end in order to handle things like community support, tutorials on getting set up, etc, and we're slowly realizing that it is a lot of work... Especially when we have our normal client work to think of!

We will keep you posted and look for a release very soon, along with a new website and some new screencasts. We already have Isotope running on a couple client sites, most notably http://www.ibuycoffee.com, and all looks to be working great. It's all very exciting, and there has been a huge response from the community that really makes us feel like this is going to take things in a good direction...

Experienced user

Hi winanscreative.... just an observation on the ibuycoffee.com site...
    No matter what Christmas Morning i order (pot/foil/tin....coarse,turkish etc) the "your cart" lists
    Christmas Morning
    only, making it extremely hard for me to differentiate what each item is.... I may have 1 tin coarse, 1 tin turkish, 2 foils coarse etc)
    I know i could go to "my cart" to see the differences and edit, but i think it would be more intuitive if "your cart" showed it was a tin of Turkish etc, and had an edit button to allow me to change just that item from 5 to 6.
    (At present I can delete from "your cart" but not edit....but the delete is of no use because I can't tell which order I'm deleting)

Apart from that its all mighty Mighty, great effort all. :D

Hi Ramjet-

We're aware of that... Just haven't integrated it into the template yet. For everyone wondering and watching/waiting, we are working on getting the latest release together. A lot of stuff happening on our end and we're doing our best to keep it all moving forward. I know it's slower than we would like, but it's getting there, and with a lot more cool stuff, like AJAX image switching for product variants, and more!

Look for a whole new website with access to the newest release plus screencasts, tutorials and more within the next few weeks. (yes, we know we've said that before but we needed to go back to the drawing board on a few things... it IS COMING!)

Experienced user

Hi,

I have a question about Isotope -- will it have the ability to allow sites to offer paid content by unlocking portions of the site upon payment?

Regrettably, I haven't had the time I need to really dig into the beta yet. But we potentially have a need for this in the next several months, so I just wanted to know if this is something we can look forward to (and develop today with that in mind).

Thanks!
    Brian