Thread: Script time out in Internet Explorer

New user

Default Script time out in Internet Explorer

Hi,

I am putting together my first website with Typolight. (I have some knowledge of CSS and HTML, but know almost nothing about PHP and Javascript)
    The front-end behaves just fine in Firefox (both version 3.0 and 3.5) but in IE6 and IE7 every page of my website delivers the next message:
    "A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive. Do you want to abort the script?"
    If you choose "yes", the page opens just fine. Till you click another link... and get the same message all over again.
    I have observed this on several computers.
    I think the problem started after I updated from Typolight2.6 to 2.7.2 I'm not entirely sure that causes the problem, because I work with Firefox myself and I also installed the helpdesk/forum extension shortly after the update.
    I have twinhelix fsmenu implemented.

A link to the front-end output can be found at: www.coticule.be/test2

Thanks,
    Bart.

Default Re: Script time out in Internet Explorer

Hi Bart-

My guess would be the fsmenu script and a conflict with mootools 1.2. Might want to try taking that out of your layout and see if it stops the error. At least you'd have nailed it down. It's obviously a Javascript conflict of some sort, and I'd just start removing one snippet at a time to see what is actually triggering it...

Hope that helps!

Blair

New user

Thank you Blair,
    Yesterday, I had the scripts checked out by a befriended IT professional, who isn't familiar with Typolight. He looked directly to the files, without logging into the Typolight back-end. In 15-30 minutes he had taken care of the problem. He said there were some errors in the scripts. Not knowing typolight, he was unable to predict if Typolight would override his changes or not. So far, I've done some editing in the back-end and the changes are holding.
    I did loose the drop-down feature of the FSmenus in IE6 (not sure about IE7 or 8), but it still works fine in Firefox. So I guess you were right with assuming that it is related to the scripts of FSmenu. Fortunately I don't really depend on the drop-down menus. Visitors can still reach all pages by navigating through the subpages.

I asked my friend what it exactly was that he altered, but he didn't seem to have the time explaining it all to someone without evena basic Javascript knowledge. He said it would be best if someone of the TL development team would check the files on my server and compare them to the original ones, so they could fix the issue. Since FSmenu is a separate script, I'm not sure this is a real typolight issue.

If it is a conflict between FSmenu and Mootools, is there a fix that saves the dropdown feature in IE?

Thanks again,
    Bart.

New user

All issues fixed!

It indeed was a problem with FSmenu and Mootools. The Typolight wiki (http://dev.typolight.org/wiki/TutorialsFsMenuEnglish) states: "3. Open fsmenu.js and do a find / replace, where "addEvent" is replaced with "fsmAddEvent".
    I found out the hard way, that is is not enough to only scan fsmenu.js. I found more instances of "addEvent" in the other .js files of FSmenu, and I replaced those too. That completely fixed the IE issues I was experiencing.

I believe the Wiki article should be corrected.

Bart.