Thread: new extension, blank page

New user

Default new extension, blank page

Hello guys

I'm trying to develop my first extension, I have followed the tutorial at http://dev.typolight.org/wiki/TutorialsExtension and edited some stuff to do what I want to do

the extension link shows up in the left menu in the "content" group, under "glossary" but when I click on this link I get a blank page

nothing in the typolight system log nor in the phperror.log, and only this error 500 in the access.log

127.0.0.1 - - [14/Sep/2009:00:46:55 +0200] "GET /typolight/typolight/main.php?do=products HTTP/1.1" 500 -

any clue about how I can troubleshoot what's wrong?

New user

Default Re: new extension, blank page

I've found that not all errors show up in the error log - try enabling "Display error messages" in your system settings. A blank page usually indicates it's hit a fatal error before it could output.

New user

after some investigation I found out what the mistake was ( some errors added editing the extension )

now I got the backend extension to work (partly, it just displays the records pulled from the db table I created) but when I try to add a new record I get this error

Code:
    Fatal error: Uncaught exception Exception with message Query error: Unknown column 'tstamp' in 'field list' (INSERT INTO products (tstamp) VALUES (0)) thrown in D:\webservers\xampp\htdocs\typolight\system\libraries\Database.php on line 519

#0 D:\webservers\xampp\htdocs\typolight\system\drivers\DC_Table.php(567): Database_Statement->execute()
    #1 D:\webservers\xampp\htdocs\typolight\system\modules\backend\Backend.php(208): DC_Table->create()
    #2 D:\webservers\xampp\htdocs\typolight\typolight\main.php(99): Backend->getBackendModule('products')
    #3 D:\webservers\xampp\htdocs\typolight\typolight\main.php(294): Main->run()
    #4 {main}
    any idea? I have no clue where that INSERT statement is created, nor about the tstamp field...

New user

It's hard to say without looking at your code. The statement would probably be executed via:
    Code:
    $this->Database->execute(/*in here*/)
    Did you create the table 'products'?

User

This error will be attributed to your data container having the option:
    $GLOBALS['TL_DCA']['products']['config']['enableVersioning'] = True;

To have versioning enabled on a DCA there must exist a tstamp field in the database table, this field will take the mysql definition of:
    `tstamp` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0'

For more info on the DCA configuration please see: http://dev.typolight.org/wiki/DevelopmentConfiguration

Experienced user

I put id, pid and tstamp fields into all tables I create within modules as a matter of course, whether they are needed or not. Typolight always wants id, sometimes pid (to store parent id), often tstamp (to store a Unix timestamp.... the number of seconds since Jan 1, 1970).
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE `tl_joblistings_jobs` (
      `id` int(12) NOT NULL auto_increment,
      `pid` int(5) unsigned zerofill NOT NULL default '00000',  
      `tstamp` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
      `job_category` varchar(64) NOT NULL default '',
    etc