Thread: Website from scratch: best practices?

User

Default Website from scratch: best practices?

Hi there,

Now I followed the available tut's and read most of the documentation. I followed Ben's tut on how to create a page. It all went well, except Ben's tut is written for 2.2 and I'm using 2.7.

So now I've got a basic page with the four xBrowser stylesheets attached to it. And where to go from here?

I mean, if I want further styling and so on, should I create a dedicated style or should I edit the defaul xBrowser stylesheets?

For example, the main menu is now a vertical menu in the header, but I want to change that in a horizontal one in the main. I can change the ul li in the xNavigation to achieve that, but then I may end up with compatibility issues in the future?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: Website from scratch: best practices?

Hi,
    my "Best Practice" in devlopment would be following:
    Simply add an extra (physical) stylesheet to your page layout. As soon as you switch out of beta phase you could merge your different sytlesheets in one file and then import it to the TL-Stylesheet thing.

New user

Quote Originally Posted by Ling
    Hi,
    my "Best Practice" in devlopment would be following:
    Simply add an extra (physical) stylesheet to your page layout. As soon as you switch out of beta phase you could merge your different sytlesheets in one file and then import it to the TL-Stylesheet thing.

I concur - Create a seperate stylesheet and modify to your hearts content - i would even go as far as saying don't use what's there already and port everything into 1/2 custom stylesheets
    Internet Marketing is both measurable and accountable.
    On Twitter Marketing Guy
    On LinkedIn Nigel Copley
    On Facebook Caroco Marketing

Experienced user

prijke, my tutorial was only to get people "up and running", as I'm sure you figured. I actually prefer to use the built in CSS editor of TYPOlight. I am constantly referencing and using css from other sites that I've completed so I don't have to continually re-invent the wheel when it comes to common things like horizontal nav.