Thread: "Fatal error: ... right syntax to use near ')'..."

New user

Default "Fatal error: ... right syntax to use near ')'..."

Hello everyone

I recently, finally decided that a blog was in order. (Yeah, I heard about the time-killer and frustration aspects, but I usually have to make mistakes myself to benefit from the experience...) Unfortunately, I'm a complete n00b: virtually no experience with any CMS, no programming knowledge in PHP or MySQL, no blogging - just so you can imagine what you're dealing with here.

That said, I'd very much appreciate help on this problem I encountered. I've been playing around with TYPOlight for the last days, starting from the Music Academy example page, by and by modifying, deleting and creating layouts, modules, style sheets, articles etc.. Having gained some confidence, I found and followed a blog manual on theses forums: http://www.typolight.org/forum/topic/617.html. I even had a vague feeling that I was able to track what I was doing and it seemed to work out somehow... Until a few hours ago when my website suddenly displayed the following error message:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception Exception with message Query error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ')' at line 1 (SELECT id, protected, groups FROM tl_news_archive WHERE id IN()) thrown in /home/content/36/4979936/html/system/libraries/Database.php on line 519
    There's a related help request (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=302&p=1026) in this very newbies section but due to my coding incompetence I cannot quite make anything of it.

Sooooo, any idea what's wrong with the SQL and/or PHP databases and how I can repair it? Here's desperately hoping...

Cheers from the seal

New user

Default Re: "Fatal error: ... right syntax to use near ')'..."

This is the rest of the error message:
    #0 /home/content/36/4979936/html/system/libraries/Database.php(162): Database_Statement->execute()
    #1 /home/content/36/4979936/html/system/modules/news/ModuleNews.php(61): Database->execute('SELECT id, prot...')
    #2 /home/content/36/4979936/html/system/modules/news/ModuleNewsList.php(67): ModuleNews->sortOutProtected(Array)
    #3 /home/content/36/4979936/html/system/libraries/Controller.php(233): ModuleNewsList->generate()
    #4 /home/content/36/4979936/html/system/modules/frontend/PageRegular.php(68): Controller->getFrontendModule('24', 'main')
    #5 /home/content/36/4979936/html/index.php(187): PageRegular->generate(Object(DB_Mysql_Result))
    #6 /home/content/36/4979936/html/index.php(288): Index->run()
    #7 {main}

New user

Anything? Anyone?

Maybe I should carry this one to a PHP/MySQL place?

Or better still, maybe start the website from a clean slate...

Experienced user

SELECT id, protected, groups FROM tl_news_archive WHERE id IN())
    means its trying to find id in nothing.
    I don't know why though.

New user

It means it can't find the news archive id.

You probably didn't check the news archive box correctly when you created the "Newslist" module.

In the backend, go to Layout>Modules, edit your "Newslist" module, check the news archive box in "News archives", then "Save and close".

New user

Quote Originally Posted by all-maps-welcome
    It means it can't find the news archive id.

You probably didn't check the news archive box correctly when you created the "Newslist" module.

In the backend, go to Layout>Modules, edit your "Newslist" module, check the news archive box in "News archives", then "Save and close".
    You were absolutely right, I had forgotten to check that box. - There even was a red asterisk which told me so, but which I had overlooked... ops:

Thanks a lot for the precise, comprehenisble instruction how to fix the problem!