Thread: editing css both in file and in backend - not allowed?

New user

Default editing css both in file and in backend - not allowed?

Hi there,

Probably a very simple question:
    It seems when I edit a css file which can also be edited in the backend CSS section, Typolight continually rewrites the css file from information in its database - i.e. overwrites any changes I made to the file with my text-editor.

Is there no way around this?

How should I integrate custom CSS into my templates? not using the typolight backend? Just write the links to the css files into the template file myself?

thanks,
    John

User

Default Re: editing css both in file and in backend - not allowed?

You are right. To add a self written css you'd have to add it in the template. The css files in the root directory are managed from a database. The contents are not read by TL, instead they are overwritten every time you change anything in the TL backend stylesheets.

Experienced user

Hi Vera (or anyone, for that matter),

I have a quick followup to this -- do you know if it's possible to specify a different location for TYPOlight to write those CSS files? I've never really been a huge fan of them getting dropped into the root of the site. I think I'd rather have them all tidy in their own folder.

Thanks!
    Brian

Experienced user

@John - you may be interested in using the CSS editor extension which allows you to manually edit css files on the server or use the built in css editor.

@Medianomaly - I don't know of an easy way to have css files written to another location. It would be nice to set the path in Settings, though. This way, you could specify /tl_files/css or anything you like. If you're interested in seeing this feature added to the core, you should submit a request at http://dev.typolight.org.