Thread: YouTube videos in TinyMCE

User

Default YouTube videos in TinyMCE

I'd like to add some YouTube videos to News articles and some other Content elements.

When I add the code from YouTube to TinyMCE, the video doesn't display (neither in the eidtor, nor on the front end). Does anybody know the solution?

Thanks

User

Default Re: YouTube videos in TinyMCE

I think I'll just wait until the TL YouTube extension also supports adding YouTube videos to news elements...

User

Have you looked at the allowed elements? I assume youtube requires iframe or script elements. You can set those on the settings page.

In fact, I'm sure this is possible in some way, I've done this already but unsure if I did something extra...

User

Well, I found you can post YouTube videos if you allow the <embed> tag, however, I haven't found a way yet to make the video show in TinyMce - I'll have to have a look. Also, <embed> is supposed to be a bad tag (I almost wrote <embad>) - Partick Griffiths from HTMLDog speaks very lowly of it.

I'll have to study this a bit more. I think there should be a valid way to embed YouTube movies, solely with the <object> tag.

Experienced user

I think it is a best practice to only add things like YouTube code in an html content element or module. TinyMCE has potential to reformat things and possibly break them.