Thread: navigation 'how to' ?

New user

Default navigation 'how to' ?

hey,

i want to make a navigation with background images (+ active state would be nice) - is there any easier way or do i have it by making a custom HTML module? i was able to make a header/footer and adjust the main section (of the whole page), i just don't understand how and where to adjust the navigation module.

thanks.

User

Default Re: navigation 'how to' ?

The navigation module will definitely do everything you've asked, but you're right it is a little tricky to set up.

I found a how-to on the wiki but it's in German: http://dev.typolight.org/wiki/typolight ... tionsmenue
    Google Translate does a pretty good job on the translation fortunately. I think it's for an older version (I started using TL on 2.7 so I'm no help with older stuff) but the general concepts should still be there.

I had the best luck by just changing options around and seeing the effect. The "Start Level" option is what eventually helped me figure out my particular problem. The custom navigation module will let you specify exactly what pages you what to display. I've found this to be better for primary navigation, which should rarely change over time.

After you get the module displaying the correct pages, even if it doesn't look quite right, take a look at the markup. TL is really good about putting lots of ID/class hooks in place so you should be able to use those in your CSS to render the background images appropriately. You can specify the CSS class for each page when you create it in Site Structure.

Also, the image_headline extension will help you render links in a particular font if you need that in addition to the background images.

New user

Default Re: navigation 'how to' ?

i speak german so that won' be a problem. thanks a lot.