Thread: TYPOlight editor's manual

Default TYPOlight editor's manual

Hi to all,
    in the TYPOlight book page is present the link to TYPOlight editor's manual.
    This manual is written in German. The english version is avaiable?

Thanks
    Paolo B.
    Contao ambassador
    ContaoCms.it - Sito di riferimento per la comunità italiana

Core developer
    Official Contao Team

Default Re: TYPOlight editor's manual

The editor's manual is available in German only

Thanks Leo, I thought so
    Paolo B.
    Contao ambassador
    ContaoCms.it - Sito di riferimento per la comunità italiana

User

Just to bump this up a little, I feel Typolight is lacking somewhat in English documentation.
    We're using Typolight in a situation where we have a lot of editors without the very basic howto documentation, ideally we need a book that can explain the concepts during editing.

If others are on board, I'm certainly happy to look into starting to collaborate a very basic howto and then maybe look into a printed version that gives proceeds to Typolight?
    The intended audience are those who need a lot of the concepts used in Typolight explaining in great detail with some problem based learning attached so they get used to it.

Within such a book I would image a covering on web standards to be vital, ie to go through topics such as image alternative text, css and html tags.

What I'm aiming at is covering problems such as :
    * Poor page design, it is typical for users to chunk huge sections of text onto a page and mismash images on the page.
    * What HTML tags are and which ones are acceptable. I've had a bedazzled request in the past to allow <marquee> onto the allowed tags list. Something which I just replied with "It's not possible sorry"

The issue for me is it's not really affordable to send these users on courses for this type of stuff, basic XHTML and CSS costs a lot and the amount the users would take from it would be pointless.

Yes sadly, I deal with people who do not understand such basic concepts we take for granted and they WANT to edit their pages.

New user

I solved this with camtasia and 5 min movies per subject per project... I think this takes a full hour in total per project to quickly get some beginner video like... "how to add a page"; "how to edit an article"; "how to edit or create a user"... If you get the list of questions from your customer or know what vids to make you can make around 6-10 tutorial videos in 1 hour.

The only issue would be that you might not have a "video voice :mrgreen:"

Advantages:
    1. the customer does not need to sit next to me and take notes when I explain it, and usually they will start asking questions that go way off topic when the class is personalized
    2. the customer will never remember it anyway so I save my company a lot of wasted phone calls by giving the customer a copy of the video for reference
    3. it would be illegal to copy the book for my customers since it is copyrighted
    4. its easy to just upload a new video to the server when it is necessary
    5. soon you can reach to a point where you can upload all this on your own site and have users download it straight from the site

Disadvantages:
    1. none significant except for a camtasia or fraps license.

After a while you will also get to a situation where you can use other project's videos for newer projects with the same issue "creating a user" for example.