Thread: Help requested

User

Default Help requested

Hi there,

Ok, here I shouldn't be affraid to ask? Fine, here it goes ;-)

I am facing a challenge of rebuilding the website of our local (small, no budget) tennis club. There are some requirements that made me decide that I want to rebuild it in Typo3 or TypoLight, basically because I really dig the idea of content element based pages. Unfortunattly, I cannot find enough documentation or video material to understand TL enough to go forward with it.

So to give it a fair change, (there are some major things in favor of TL) I ask if there's someone out there who want to help me with things when I'm stuck. I am willing to do the major part of it, but need some assistence in how to start and so on. I will give you an admin account on the development website where you can change /adjust things a bit to help us.

Basically needed:
    - two level dropdown menu
    - upcoming events (swithable on/off in the sidebar varying from page to page)
    - searchbox (swithable on/off in the sidebar varying from page to page)
    - login box (swithable on/off in the sidebar varying from page to page)
    - content highlight in sidebar or anywhere else (like: Did you know that....? or a sponsor box)
    - latest news (in sidebar or other content area)
    - membership directory (with login for membership pages)
    - membership area (hidden pages for normal users)
    - editor groups to edit only the pages from department youth or competition details
    - flexible header pic (default one, changeable per page)
    - (protected) download area for PDF's of our club magazine
    - some sort of gallery for pictures of our events
    - severals forms for contributing content for website or magazine, become a member
    - mailinglist capacity of sending newsletter mailings to our members using consistent (html) layout

Hmmmm, stil quite a list to get started. So anyone willing to help me getting started? I am going to design a (html) template at the moment (or adjusting a free one from freecsstemplates.org) to get things layed out and styled.

So I wasn't affraid to ask, but now I'm wondering who's going to respond?

User

Default Re: Help requested

Every single thing you've listed is possible with TL! Either natively or with an extension I've seen (and my extension knowledge isn't that great yet).

I'd suggest watching "How to use a custom page layout" on http://www.typolight.org/books-and-videos.html - that's what helped me get started with my first page.

If you are working and hit a stopping point, I'm sure folks on here (myself included) would be able to help you out with individual problems as they pop up. Much easier to manage that way than trying to answer everything at once.

User

Default Re: Help requested

Ok Mark thx,

I already viewed the tutorial on adapting an existing template. ANd this will work fine for normal articles. I will give it a serious change. Currently, the basic features are implemented in Wordpress (example on http://www.rijke.org/tvww), but WP is lacking in (backend)security and serious content types (IMHO). But you get an idea. It got some similar req's as the demo-site included in the music academy pack.

So I will be back here very soon posting my questions again.