Thread: Creating style sheet

New user

Default Creating style sheet

Hello. I am new to this CMS and I have looked through other posts and have tried a lot of the solutions given, but no of them has fixed my problem.

Problem:
    I go to style sheets and create a new one. I name it, select media type and click 'save and edit' (Note: I have also tried 'save and close' and I get the same issue)
    I get the following -
    An error occurred while executing this script!

If you are a TYPOlight user, contact the administrator of your website.
    Open file system/logs/error.log and search for a corresponding entry.
    Open file system/config/localconfig.php and add the following line:
    $GLOBALS['TL_CONFIG']['displayErrors'] = true;
    Read the TYPOlight FAQs or visit the TYPOlight support page.
    To customize this notice, create a custom template file named templates/be_error.tpl.

When I select 'style sheets' again from the menu I see my style sheet has been created after-all and is listed. But when I try to edit it or show style sheet details I get the above error. The only thing I can do without getting the above error is to delete the style sheet.

Any ideas?

xJSBx

Experienced user

Default Re: Creating style sheet

Quote Originally Posted by xJSBx
    Open file system/logs/error.log and search for a corresponding entry.
    Open file system/config/localconfig.php and add the following line:
    Did you do those things? What were the results?
    Brian

New user

-- Here is the corresponding error from logfile:
    [14-Dec-2009 15:51:32] PHP Warning: fopen(/usr/local/sites/linkousconstruction.com/htdocs/tl/system/tmp/97b716345ea8b8863528bf12b7b1e21d) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/local/sites/linkousconstruction.com/htdocs/tl/system/libraries/FTP.php on line 122
    [14-Dec-2009 15:51:32] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'Cannot create file "test.css"' thrown in /usr/local/sites/linkousconstruction.com/htdocs/tl/system/libraries/File.php on line 107

I have checked the permissions for FTP.php (644), I should to not have to fully open the library files, should I?

-- I have added the line to the localconfig file, but I still get the same error page asking me to add it.

xJSBx

Experienced user

It sounds like you don't have permission to write files on the web server. Are you using the Safe Mode Hack?

New user

I just added all required code and set the permissions to the directories. Now I cannot even login. I get the same error page as before also.

I looked in the logfile and there were no new additions.

xJSBx

Experienced user

I just added all required code and set the permissions to the directories. Now I cannot even login. I get the same error page as before also.
    What code and permissions did you set? Was it the code to enable the SMH? You should not need to make any changes to directory permissions if this is the case.

Please enable error reporting (displayErrors = true), just as the error page says when you try to access your site.

It sounds like the problem is that the web server still cannot write files. In your first post, when you say you are creating a "style sheet", you are actually only creating the database entries. Please tell us whether or not a corresponding css file is generated in your TL root folder (/tl based on your error messages).

New user

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    What code and permissions did you set? Was it the code to enable the SMH? You should not need to make any changes to directory permissions if this is the case.
    I added the lines of code for the SMH. The directories/files that I changed permissions on were the following:
    tl_files/*
    system/html/*
    system/logs/*
    system/tmp/*

Please enable error reporting (displayErrors = true), just as the error page says when you try to access your site.
    That line is in the localconfig file as well.

Here is the contents of the localconfig file:

$GLOBALS['TL_CONFIG']['useFTP'] = true;
    $GLOBALS['TL_CONFIG']['ftpHost'] = 'web01.worldspice.net';
    $GLOBALS['TL_CONFIG']['ftpPath'] = 'httpdocs/';
    $GLOBALS['TL_CONFIG']['ftpUser'] = 'linkousconstruction.com ';
    $GLOBALS['TL_CONFIG']['ftpPass'] = '****************';

It sounds like the problem is that the web server still cannot write files. In your first post, when you say you are creating a "style sheet", you are actually only creating the database entries. Please tell us whether or not a corresponding css file is generated in your TL root folder (/tl based on your error messages).
    No, this css file that I "created" does not exists.
    Also in the log file it mentions that the following file cannot be found: xBasic.css. This file exists. It is in tl_files/xBrowser_style_sheets/
    L

Thanks again for helping me through this Ben.

xJSBx

Experienced user

JSB,

TL is unable to create your css file. The file at /tl_files/xBrowser_style_sheets/xBasic.css is sitting there uselessly and it was only important at the moment you imported it into TL. Once a file is imported, entries are added to the database and it should write a file called www.domain.com/xBasic.css. If this did not occur, TL is unable to write files to the server. Have you tried uploading files through the file manager? Are you successful? Are you using TL 2.7.5 or 2.8 RC1?

New user

Great. Not sure what is going on now. When I try to login I get the same error page and I try to re-install and it says my pwd is not valid and is now locked. I am going to try undoing everything I have changed to see what is causing this....but it looks like it just might be easier to just blow it all out and start over.

xJSBx

Experienced user

Yeah - if you haven't done much work on the new site, it sounds like a good idea to blow it away and do a clean install. Don't forget to drop all of the existing tables in the database.

New user

Ben - thanks for your help. Typolight was highly recommended to us and I really liked what I saw and read about the app, but in the end we were unable to get it working correctly 100%. So, we have decided to go with another solution.

xJSBx

Experienced user

JSB - I'm sorry to hear about your decision to use a different CMS. All told, it sounds like the problems with your installation were probably attributable to the hosting environment. I know for a fact that you would not have had these issues if you hosted your site with a few companies I use.

Hopefully you'll change your mind and stick with TYPOlight. I've done tons of research and used many systems over the years. I can say with confidence that you won't find a better CMS, whether it open source or commercial.

New user

I am having the same problem for a while now. Just updated to 2.8 and seem to be having the same problem.
    Code:
    [Thu Jun 24 16:42:12 2010] [error] [client 78.105.76.231] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'Cannot create file "MediaLife01.css"' thrown in /var/www/vhosts/mydoman.co.uk/httpdocs/system/libraries/File.php on line 107, referer: http://www.mydoman.co.uk/typolight/index.php
    [Thu Jun 24 16:42:32 2010] [error] [client 78.105.76.231] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'Cannot create file "MediaLife01.css"' thrown in /var/www/vhosts/mydoman.co.uk/httpdocs/system/libraries/File.php on line 107, referer: http://www.mydoman.co.uk/typolight/main.php?do=css
    [Thu Jun 24 16:42:34 2010] [error] [client 78.105.76.231] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'Cannot create file "MediaLife01.css"' thrown in /var/www/vhosts/mydoman.co.uk/httpdocs/system/libraries/File.php on line 107, referer: http://www.mydoman.co.uk/typolight/main.php?do=css
    [Thu Jun 24 16:42:41 2010] [error] [client 78.105.76.231] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'Cannot create file "MediaLife01.css"' thrown in /var/www/vhosts/mydoman.co.uk/httpdocs/system/libraries/File.php on line 107, referer: http://www.mydoman.co.uk/typolight/main.php?do=css

Experienced user

Are you using the safe mode hack? It sounds like the server isn't letting the cms write the actual css files.

New user

Are you using the safe mode hack? It sounds like the server isn't letting the cms write the actual css files.
    Yes safe mode hack enabled as explained here:

http://www.contao.org/news/items/safe-mode-hack.html