Thread: Suggestions need from TypoLight Experts

New user

Default Suggestions need from TypoLight Experts

Hi,

I'm a newbie to this forum. I'm trying to find which CMS is good for my website. This is my expectation:

1. The website that I'm planning to build is a commercial website which is planned to have around 20,000 hits per second.
    2. I want google maps for the address that I'm lisitng.
    3. I want users to write reviews on my products similar to amazon.
    4. I want a blog section.

Is Typolight good for this website. Are above features already part of Typolight core or are they part of extensions.

I planned to use Jhoomla first. But because Jhoomla has lot of security holes, I dropped it. I want a very sincere feedback if Typolight was ever used for a commercial website which had around 20,000 hits per second. How's the performance, SEO features with Typolight.

Default Re: Suggestions need from TypoLight Experts

20,000 hits per second??? That's double what Youtube.com gets in a day, which equates to something like 2 billion hits a day. Sorry if I seem a little skeptical, but I'd love to know what products attract that kind of traffic, and where do I buy one?

Aside from that, yes, TYPOlight has a basic blog feature built into the core ("News") as well as extensions for Google Maps support, a reviews/comments module etc.

While we have never built a TL site that requires anything near the bandwidth you are talking about, it is a fairly efficient framework. I'd imagine that with traffic even close to what you are expecting that you would need a lot of hardware to handle the load, but I can't think of any examples offhand that would equate to something like that. The only example I could find in the forums is Vincent's high-traffic setup:

http://www.typolight-community.org/v...start=10#p2487

Hope that helps!

Core developer
    Official Contao Team

Quote Originally Posted by winanscreative
    20,000 hits per second??? That's double what Youtube.com gets in a day, which equates to something like 2 billion hits a day. Sorry if I seem a little skeptical, but I'd love to know what products attract that kind of traffic, and where do I buy one?
    Sounds like Microsoft is planning to use TYPOlight for their website

User

Quote Originally Posted by leo
    Sounds like Microsoft is planning to use TYPOlight for their website
    In this case they should change in main settings suffix from .html to .asp :D
    Marcin

http://www.contao.pl - Polish Support Site
    http://forum.contao.pl - Polish Contao community forum

-----------------------
    Need custom template? Feel free to contact me by e-mail marcin@contao.pl

New user

HAPPY NEW YEAR Guys. Thanks winanscreative for your informative link. I wish I could claim my company as Microsoft, hopefully will try to turn it to one :D

Just to clarify:

20,000 hits per second would be the worst case scenario load testing. Let us keep this requirement aside for now. My ideal website would be similar to Amazon.com ( with product listing, reviews per product, google map of the address of the company where this product is available ). My target community will be around 10 Million Customers. May be I'm thinking too much ahead of time, but I'm on the hunt of a reliable CMS with my worst case scenarios, so that I can avoid going back and forth between CMS's.

My short question is: Can I build a website like Amazon.com (+ Blog Section ) with Typolight assuming the load condition would be same as Amazon.com ( In my case this would be extended to all over the world instead of just USA ). My primary concern is PERFORMACE/Load Time of Web Pages and SEO assuming each product might have 300+ reviews.

My Front Page should have following for a country:

Recommended List of Products ( for a user based on user's previous visit )
    Hot List of Products ( Based on Review Rating )
    Newly added Products

Blog section
    Search ( Category/Location/ReviewRating )

Any examples of commercial/enterprise level websites powered by Typolight is appreciated. This will help me a lot in my decision making.

New user

Quote Originally Posted by lsanju
    20,000 hits per second would be the worst case scenario load testing. Let us keep this requirement aside for now. My ideal website would be similar to Amazon.com ( with product listing, reviews per product, google map of the address of the company where this product is available ). My target community will be around 10 Million Customers. May be I'm thinking too much ahead of time, but I'm on the hunt of a reliable CMS with my worst case scenarios, so that I can avoid going back and forth between CMS's.

My short question is: Can I build a website like Amazon.com (+ Blog Section ) with Typolight assuming the load condition would be same as Amazon.com ( In my case this would be extended to all over the world instead of just USA ). My primary concern is PERFORMACE/Load Time of Web Pages and SEO assuming each product might have 300+ reviews.
    Amazon and Acadia University both begin with the letter "A"...that's where the similarities end in all honesty. I don't see Acadia's traffic load ever approaching 20000 hits/sec, that's for certain!

But I digress...

I had a quick look at the most recent stats; the university's instance is currently serving approximately 4500 visitors and 10000 page views per day across 30 unique live sites--each with it's own subdomain. There are another 50 sites in various states of construction on the system but are not yet live, and 100 active backend editor accounts to maintain the lot.

As far as hardware is concerned, TL is installed on a dedicated web & db server with minimal increase in load above idle service (quad core, ample RAM, RAID array, running RHEL+Apache). Responsiveness is excellent and page load latency is nil.

--V
    Vincent Grovestine ~ Programmer/Web Analyst @ Acadia University

On a similar note... We're working on an eCommerce extension due to be released very soon for TYPOlight that is focused on speed and efficiency (http://www.isotopeecommerce.com). We've found that working with the TL framework to develop the extension has made that very easy, and we are always amazed and pleasantly surprised at the performance of any extension we develop for TL.

We looked at Magento as an eCommerce solution and were horrified at the loads that were being placed on our systems from this and other similar "bloatware" out there, but TYPOlight's footprint has always been relatively small, which we like.

I would say that if you are considering doing extensive development work based on a CMS that you have to take a good look at TYPOlight purely because of its framework. It's extremely developer-friendly and very powerful... I would choose it hands down over any other PHP Open-source CMS available out there, as we have tried them all. Version 2.8 is going to make that choice even easier, too.

Good luck in your decision! :D