Thread: What would making a commerce extension require?

User

Default What would making a commerce extension require?

I know this question or something similar has been asked before, but I was wondering how much work a simple commerce extension to the catalog would take. (or is this perhaps already (a planned) part of v2 ops: )

More and more I need to create websites and integrate shopping systems for which I use Magento commerce. Magento is really great (except the templates and css stuff) but also very complex because it has just about everything you could possibly want. But most often customers just want some simple products that can be added to a cart and then checked out.

Would it be possible to write a custom addition to the catalog extension that allows to mark certain items as "in collection" for each visitor individually. You could use that extention also as a sort of lightbox as I see in many gallery systems. So that's multifunctional. 8-)

If a collection extention would exist then a simple checkout is nothing more then a few complex steps.
    • Getting customer data[/*:m:2dhtnr8m]
    • Payment method (simple implementation is customizable using catalog system itself)[/*:m:2dhtnr8m]
    • Shipping method[/*:m:2dhtnr8m]
    • Confirm[/*:m:2dhtnr8m]
    • Send emails and store data[/*:m:2dhtnr8m]

I do admit that it would take some consideration, but if a basic setup would exist it can be made more complex or rewritten. Right now there is nothing.

So in short :lol: :
    1. Is any of the two extensions part of the plan already, or might it become part? (why not)[/*:m:2dhtnr8m]
    2. Would they fit into the structure of how V2 is set up?[/*:m:2dhtnr8m]
    3. Can I help and get help if I really want such extensions[/*:m:2dhtnr8m]

Experienced user

Default Re: What would making a commerce extension require?

Why not use Isotope. Its a full e-commerce solution for TL.

User

Not planned for v2 (AFAIK). And I believe the effort required to add some decent e-commerce support would be similar to effort required to create catalog + catalog_ext (= a lot - we may argue about it if you really want to ). And there are other e-commerce solutions, so I wouldn't expect something like this anytime soon.
    S.C.A.R.E

Hi @ll,
    there is an cart extension for every element on an site.
    This is working with the catalog also...
    Xtra has done some fixes in the catalog 2.0 for that also.

But the extension is not ready, so I think we must wait a little bit and than we can use it for nearly a shop like an big shop management system ;-)

regards
    Mediendepot Ruhr
    For real-time chat the (inofficial) Chatroom in IRC:
    -> irc.freenode.net #contao | irc.freenode.net #contao.de

User

The biggest advantage of making an e-commerce extension to catalog is flexibility. I can already do tons of different things with the extension and show each item everywhere with any kind of template I choose. Adding a possibility to add them to a cart and check out seems logical.

I am about to check out the existing systems but I expect them (except easycart) to fix the types of fields for items I can fill in, but also the way I can display them. Both restrictions (if so) are a problem that stop me from easily create anything I would want exactly like it is now with using Magento. I either make a catalog or I make a webshop, but both are not possible.

Would any of the shop systems allow custom fields and templates similar to catalog, then why is there any need for this extension any longer :twisted:

But I do agree with scare: it'll take a lot of work, especially the shipping and payment methods. I did do a quick check and whichever system I choose I'd have to create an iDEAL payment method except when using Magento. Perhaps it is a good idea to look at easycart?

Shopping systems I found for typolight:
    http://www.typolight-webshop.de
    http://www.isotopeecommerce.com/
    http://code.google.com/p/easycart/ (which will work with catalog already!!)

User

Actually, looking at http://simplecartjs.com/ I wonder if I wouldn't attempt a jQuery solution to this :roll: Not sure if iDEAL advanced will accept that yet.

Experienced user

Adding all the bits needed to make an e-commerce solution to Catalog, would simply be pointless, as this is exactly where isotope started off from. They decided to use the catalog and its methods as a basis and create all the bits needed to (1) NOT have to do a bridge between TL-Magento and (2) add all the e-commerce bits to a flexible product system based around the catalog methodology. I suggest you signup as a beta tester, because they are almost ready to release. Andreas (one of the top developers for TL) has already contributed enormously to the Isotope project. This will be the very best TL module based hybrid e-commerce solution.

User

I didn't know that, it also nowhere says how it was set up. But like I said; I haven't looked at them yet ops:

I did signup though, so lets see what happens with that...

Experienced user

It's ok. I spent long hours communicating with Fred on how to start their project and how to fine-tune some aspects and how to use images and caching them. My contributions were probably quite small, but may have assisted them greatly to achieve a product that I certainly will be using in the future for e-commerce sites.

User

But just to be sure: do they actually make use of the catalog extension or do they use similar ways of handling data and items?

(I haven't heard from them yet and I am curious :lol: )

Experienced user

They actually have a different way to deal with the data, but its very flexible with product variations, colors and price variations, e.g. price ($35)can vary by percentage (-10%=35-3.5) or by value (-10=25) or simply by replacing the value (26). They also have amazing data import tools. Why not check out their videos.