Thread: Inactive Links in Firefox set with editor?

User

Default Inactive Links in Firefox set with editor?

Hi All,

I'm having an odd experience with Firefox showing links. I'm using the WYSIWYG editor to set the anchors to an internal page. The links work fine when viewed from IE8, Firefox shows the links as underlined but inactive... I did a Google search and it seems that this is likely a FF path quirk to an improperly set URL.

Do you think there is a system setting that's incorrect? I have the relative path set to '/abmac-tl' which appears to be correct.

I'm running my TL from my laptop using XAAMP, also I have noit been able to get Mod-Rewrite working at this time, so its disabled

Just elaborate further, the following code shows two active and working links ( the last two) the rest do not work in FF but all work in IE. Weird huh?

Code:
    <ul type="disc">[*]
    <a href="index.php/investor-relations.html">
    Investor Relations
    </a>
    [*]
    <a href="index.php/transaction-communications.html">
    Transaction Communications
    </a>
    [*]
    <a href="index.php/initial-public-offerings.html">
    Initial Public Offerings
    </a>
    [*]
    <a href="index.php/corporate-financial-public-relations.html">
    Corporate &amp; Financial Public Relations
    </a>
    [*]
    <a href="index.php/crisis-communications.html">
    Crisis Communications
    </a>
    [*]
    <a href="index.php/corporate-restructuring-bankruptcy.html">
    Corporate Restructurings &amp; Bankruptcy
    </a>
    [/list]

User

Default Re: Inactive Links in Firefox set with editor?

Okay so this is a Z-index issue of sorts. I am positioning my H1 absolutely. and so this seems to be an issue for Firefox.

If I do display:none on my H1 it hides the box that's covering it and my links work however No combination of z-index levels fixes this issue for Firefox!

So it seems that this is fixed but applying positioning to the object otherwise z-index is ignored. IE for some reason applies it. :roll:

Experienced user

Heh -- when I read your post earlier I had a hunch it might be a CSS issue -- because I ran into a very similar thing yesterday. If things still aren't quite working the way you want, send a link if you feel like it to a sample page and I'll take a quick look.
    Brian

User

Yeah it was the absolute positioned DIV in FireFox. I don't recall ever seeing this before but adding positioning to the other items fixed it.

Experienced user

Cool -- a couple of things to note for future reference:

z-index doesn't work unless you also apply positioning (relative or absolute). This is the technically the correct behavior, so if it works in IE, it's IE not following standards again.

When you position something, it automatically is treated as though it is "above" the non-positioned elements. So if your positioned element overlaps non-positioned elements, links that it overlaps will not be clickable. So most likely your positioned element's "box" was overlapping the links and causing the links not to work.

Firebug is a great tool for this -- when you hover over an element, it highlights that element's containing box in the browser window, so you can see if an element is taller/wider than expected and adjust your css accordingly.
    Brian