Thread: Catalog items are NOT listed in sitemap.xml

New user

Default Catalog items are NOT listed in sitemap.xml

Hi,

I have already asked in the german forum, but so far I didn't get an answer to solve my problem. As the subject points out no Catalog items are listed in the generated sitemap.xml file.

I have absolutely no idea if I have something special to configure, I thought all items will be added to the catalogue out of the box. To give some more information - the catalog itself is working fine and without any problems and it is the latest available repository version. I also have cleared all caches, rebuild everything, but I didn't succeed.

So do you have an idea what would do the trick to get the catalog items listed in the sitemap.xml file?

Thank you very much and kind regards,
    Sares

Experienced user

Default Re: Catalog items are NOT listed in sitemap.xml

Since the catalog items don't actually have a page per item, but have a shared hidden page showing any item, it won't appear in the sitemap. The best you can do is to have them appear in the site search or activate the RSS for the catalog (new version alpa). The catalog was designed just like News, and you won't find any news stories in the sitemap either.

New user

Hi Thyon,

thank you very much for your answer and your help!

In the german forum I've got the following link:

http://code.google.com/p/typolight-c...es/detail?id=3

so I thought that the catalog items are generated for sitemap.xml out of the box and was just wondering.

BTW: I have to say, that you are not right, all of my news are listed in the sitemap.xml file and they all get displayed via a news-details page as you described. In the sitemap.xml file I can find something like:

Code:
    url><loc>http://www.mydomain.com/news-details/items/just-a-simple-news-entry.html</loc></url>
    I am using the current catalog not the new Alpha, so RSS won't work and the search of the items is already activated and works just fine. But maybe there is a possibility to get the items in the sitemap, if the news items are also in the sitemap.xml. What do you think??

Kind regards,
    Sares

Experienced user

Well if the sitemap is constructed from the SEARCH index, then it should contain all the catalog reader pages as well, you have to (1) enable seach for your catalog and use the "alias" field as your alias for the item (instead of its ID number) and then (2) you should go to the indexer and index your site. you will then see all the catalog items being indexed as well... just like news -- this was designed identical to the news way of doing things.

New user

Hi Thyon,

thank you so much, your explanation lead me to the solution of the problem!

It was 1) - I hadn't enabled the search for the catalog at the catalog settings. Right after I had enabled it, the pages got indexed and therefore they were inserted in the sitemap.xml.

BTW: could you please so kind and tell me where to define the alias? In the catalog settings there is a alias select field, but it's empty and I didn't find the place where to define the values for it.

Thanks a lot and kind regards,
    Sares

Experienced user

just add a field to your catalog called alias and set the title field to your Name/Title fiels. It will then automatically create an alias based on your Name/Title for that catalog, but you're free to make it anything anyway, as long as its unique for the catalog. This works similar to the news/event/page alias. Then go back to the catalog search-enable screen and re-select the "alias" field you've now set-up.

New user

Hi Thyon,

thanks, now it's working fine.

One thing confusing was the fact, that you have to save all catalog items once, before the alias is generated, just re-indexing the catalog was not enough. Nevertheless, now everything work like a charme ;-)

Thank you very much for your great help solving my problem.

Kind regards,
    Sares

Experienced user

its not confusing, because if you add the alias field after you designed the catalog, or course it will be blank. you should have created the alias field together with your other fields, then as you entered your data, you will have had the alias field there all along. This is the nature of the catalog -- its all about the design of your catalog -- nothing else...

New user

Hi Thyon,

you are absolutely right, it's all about catalog design.
    While developing this catalog project I have revealed a lot of catalog-secrets and next time I will be aware of certain things, at least until catalog 2.0 is out and everything starts from the beginning

Thanks and kind regards,
    Sares

Experienced user

actually catalog 2 is pretty much a stable alpha2 version, and best thing is that your modules and data remain intact in the upgrade.

New user

Quote Originally Posted by thyon
    actually catalog 2 is pretty much a stable alpha2 version, and best thing is that your modules and data remain intact in the upgrade.
    ok, that would be really cool! 8-)

What about the templates? Do I have to expect a lot of changes or will they also work right out of the box after an upgrade? I also read in the changelog that the taxonomy module and some others will be removed from the catalog so I am really curious how everything comes together and should test the new catalog alpha 2 asap.

Regards,
    Sares

Experienced user

There are mostly back-end changes, so the FE is not affected that much with existing modules. There are new FE Modules, but these are not quite complete, like the FE editing and Navigation.

New user

Ok, interesting.
    What do you think - when will it be "safe" to switch over to the new catalog (and I don't talk about a release date ) and use it instead of the current one, if FE editing and some other new FE features are not that important and I only need what is possible right now already in V1.x ?

Hi Thyon,

I've enabled Searchable and rebuilded my search index, but I still can't see my catalog items in the sitemap.
    I have an alias field and I am using catalog2.

DO you have an idea of what I am missing?

Rgds,
    F

Hi just found out myself in Get Searcheable Pages. I forgot to put Jump to page.

Thnx