Thread: difficulty uploading image files

New user

Default difficulty uploading image files

Newbie here with a simple question/challenge concerning uploading images using file manager:

In file manager, I clearly see the green 'file upload' link at the top of the page. However when I click on that, there is no way to browse your local directories to actually select files to upload. How can that be? All that shows in this window is a list of all the files that came with the site template.

I've also noticed that if I select "create new folder" nothing happens - no new folder is created.

Can anybody provide guidance on this for me?

I'm logged in as the administrator and using TYPOlight webCMS 2.7.5.

Thanks...

Experienced user

Default Re: difficulty uploading image files

in both cases a blinking arrow on the right hand side is activated, indicating "which folder do you want to upload to?/which folder do you want to create a new folder within?"
    Have you clicked on this?

New user

Thanks for your reply.

There is an arrow. Clicking the arrow when attempting to upload a file does open the browse function I was previously looking for and it allows me to successfully upload files - thanks for the tip on that one.

However a new problem:
    Even after uploading files to the images folder, I don't see them there. The upload is successful but I can't see the files I uploaded in the folder I selected so that they can be selected and added to my site content. They don't appear in any folder - I checked.

As for the issue with the 'create folder' function, I see the same arrow on the right hand side, and when I click it on the folder I want to create a folder within, I get this error message appearing on the next page: "An error occurred!"

That can't be good.

User

You need write permissions for the folder where you are uploading your files. If you are using safe mode, you need to use safe mode hack to make it work correctly.
    S.C.A.R.E

New user

Quote Originally Posted by scare
    You need write permissions for the folder where you are uploading your files. If you are using safe mode, you need to use safe mode hack to make it work correctly.
    Thanks for your post, but as a newbie, I'm not sure how to check if I'm using safe mode, let alone using a hack to get this working.

Any why would a hack be needed at all to allow a simple function such as image uploads to work?

Experienced user

User

I'm having similar problems. Server is in safe mode, so entered FTP details during installation. Those details are present in localconfig.php. 777 permissions on html, logs, and tmp. In File Manager, during upload, the progress bar fills correctly, but the file does not then appear in the folder.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Tom

Experienced user

Tom - go into System > Settings, and check on "Display error messages" to see if anything helpful is posted. Btw, the files will be uploaded to /tl_files. The other folders you mention are for the caching of images.

User

I turned off Fancy Upload, and all is well. I'll look into the problem later, but for the moment, this works perfectly well for me, so thanks.

Tom