Thread: FAQ answers not showing and redirects to the home page

New user

Default FAQ answers not showing and redirects to the home page

Hi there, a question:

Using the FAQ component in TYPOlight, I created a number of FAQ questions and answers.

Now, the list of question links appears normally on the public FAQ page, however clicking on a question link does not show the answer linked to that question, but instead redirects to the home page of my site.

How is this possible? If anyone has any guidance on a fix, that would be appreciated.

Experienced user

Default Re: FAQ answers not showing and redirects to the home page

Like news, events, etc. -- the FAQ requires 2 parts:

1. One or more pages that have the "FAQ List" module added to them. This shows the listing of questions. (Sounds like you have this already).

2. A separate page that has the "FAQ Reader" module added to it. The FAQ list redirects to this page.

A standard setup would be to create a new page in your site structure and call it something like "FAQ Answer" or whatever. Most of the time you would want to hide this page from your navigation. Drop an "FAQ Reader" module into this page. Then edit your FAQ settings by redirecting it to your newly created page (should be the only other option in settings aside from title).
    Brian

New user

Quote Originally Posted by Medianomaly

1. One or more pages that have the "FAQ List" module added to them. This shows the listing of questions. (Sounds like you have this already).

2. A separate page that has the "FAQ Reader" module added to it. The FAQ list redirects to this page.

A standard setup would be to create a new page in your site structure and call it something like "FAQ Answer" or whatever. Most of the time you would want to hide this page from your navigation. Drop an "FAQ Reader" module into this page. Then edit your FAQ settings by redirecting it to your newly created page (should be the only other option in settings aside from title).
    Thanks for this advice. FAQ is now working....your tips were VERY MUCH appreciated.

Now if I could only get my FLASH working I'd be done with my site!

Thanks again

New user

Quote Originally Posted by maverickinparadise

Thanks for this advice. FAQ is now working....your tips were VERY MUCH appreciated.

Now if I could only get my FLASH working I'd be done with my site!

Thanks again
    I was wondering if I've done something wrong here.

What I mean is, normally with FAQ pages, you click a question link and it brings you directly to the point in the page below where the answer for that question is.

But this after adding the FAQ reader module, the FAQ questions page just refreshes the page after a question link is clicked on and shows the top part of the answer at the very bottom of the same page. I mean, you have manually scroll your eyes down for the answer and it only shows the beginning of the answer itself. If someone isn't looking right at the screen they could miss getting their answer right away or even completely...this can't be part of the design, can it?

Experienced user

Just making sure -- right now you have 2 pages -- one page is showing the "FAQ List" and the other is showing the "FAQ Reader". When you click a question on the "FAQ List" page, it should redirect you to the "FAQ Reader" page (which should only show the question and full answer to the one you clicked). By your description it sounds like it may be a config issue.

I get what you mean about the format -- it's set up differently here -- more in line with the list/detail model used by most of the other features. In other words one page shows you the questions, and another page shows you the answer to the question you select.

You can set it up the way you describe, however -- but it involves customizing the FAQ templates. In effect you'd be combining the two templates (mod_faqlist and mod_faqreader) into one. You'd loop through all the questions at the top, and then loop again showing all of the details below (and set up the jumplinks between them).

Check out the tutorials on working with templates if you haven't already. Also, the function $this->showTemplateVars() comes in handy in that it shows you all of the available variables that you can use in your templates.
    Brian

New user

I know how he had his modules set up—it's not a config error. FAQ List and FAQ Reader modules have been placed on the same page. I did this too.

I did this because I AM looking for them to be on the same page. Below is how it works now (but not exactly like I want it):

Quote Originally Posted by maverickinparadise
    ...the FAQ questions page just refreshes the page after a question link is clicked on and shows the [...] answer at the very bottom of the same page...
    My goal is to have the answer appear below the question after the question is clicked. I'm going to try what Medianomoly has said and hope it doesn't take me all day. If any has any hints or advice on this project, or doesn't understand my goal, please respond.

User

You can set it up the way you describe, however -- but it involves customizing the FAQ templates. In effect you'd be combining the two templates (mod_faqlist and mod_faqreader) into one. You'd loop through all the questions at the top, and then loop again showing all of the details below (and set up the jumplinks between them)
    I had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago, this solution sounds like it would work in my case as well. Thanks!

New user

Quote Originally Posted by yi3artist
    My goal is to have the answer appear below the question after the question is clicked. I'm going to try what Medianomoly has said and hope it doesn't take me all day. If any has any hints or advice on this project, or doesn't understand my goal, please respond.
    Well, it turned out all right. I created new Faq template, module, language settings, etc based off of Faqlist (and called it Faqpile). I didn't have to mess with Faqreader at all. I added the answer variable to all the array items for Faqlist's template. And I added the answer to a new div just below the question and gave the answer an ID. Then I threw in a MooTools toggle('answer-id') on the question link. Reset the Faq redirects. And then removed the href="..." entirely from the question (because it was botching the javascript). Good to go. :mrgreen:

I'm sure I've done something taboo or ugly, though. I'd like to know a better way to do this if there is (i.e. install Faqpile as an extension rather than manually editing seems like the right path, but I'm not sure where to start).