Thread: Controlling checkbox

User

Default Controlling checkbox

I'm working through the tutorial at ExtensionsCatalog

I have a couple of Items (fields) that will be given values programmatically so I want those Items hidden from the user.
    When defining an Item the tutorial says "controlling checkbox (hides field below this checkbox)."

On the Item definition form I have made the Item Type = Checkbox but the Controlling checkbox drop down list remains at "-"

Strangely when defining another Item (field) I noticed that the drop down list gave an Controlling option (when I didn't need it and it wasn't a check box type item)

How do I get the drop down list to give the controlling option or have I misunderstood what this feature is?

Thanks for reading

Experienced user

Default Re: Controlling checkbox

This feature ONLY works in the BE, NOT the FE. The actual FE visibility has only been implemented in the new Alpha release.

1. You have to create a checkbox field in your catalog (e.g. "Add Printer") that will control the visibility of a sub-section of fields (1 or more additional fields).
    2. Then create/edit all the sub-fields and select the above controlling field from the drop-down - each of these would then remain invisible until the control checkbox is click-checked (BE only in the current release, BE/FE in the new Alpha).

The new alpha also has a field-type where you can set a controlling parent, e.g. if you select 1 field from a drop-down, then the BE reloads and changes the "sub" field and shows only those values with a parent.

User

Default Re: Controlling checkbox

Many thanks thyon. That's clearer now. I shall try it when I get home.

Looking forward to the new release and having the facility on the FE. Meanwhile I guess I can add a bit of javascript to hide the fields (provided they and the labels are named).