Thread: Error message / Could not connect to database

User

Default Error message / Could not connect to database

This morning, a Typolight website shows the below error message. What might the reason be? Would it be down to the typolight installation, or is there something wrong with the database hosting?

Many thanks!

=======
    Fatal error: Uncaught exception Exception with message Could not connect to database (Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)) thrown in /home/fightforsightnew/htdocs/system/libraries/Database.php on line 70

#0 /home/fightforsightnew/htdocs/system/libraries/Database.php(133): Database->__construct()
    #1 [internal function]: Database::getInstance()
    #2 /home/fightforsightnew/htdocs/system/libraries/System.php(132): call_user_func(Array)
    #3 /home/fightforsightnew/htdocs/system/libraries/Model.php(78): System->import('Database')
    #4 /home/fightforsightnew/htdocs/system/modules/backend/BackendUser.php(65): Model->__construct()
    #5 /home/fightforsightnew/htdocs/system/modules/backend/BackendUser.php(145): BackendUser->__construct()
    #6 [internal function]: BackendUser::getInstance()
    #7 /home/fightforsightnew/htdocs/system/libraries/System.php(132): call_user_func(Array)
    #8 /home/fightforsightnew/htdocs/typolight/index.php(59): System->import('BackendUser', 'User')
    #9 /home/fightforsightnew/htdocs/typolight/index.php(125): Index->__construct()
    #10 {main}

Experienced user

Default Re: Error message / Could not connect to database

This is usually what happens when TL can't connect to the database. Did this install used to work? Are you able to check the db with phpMyAdmin and MySQL Workbench?

User

All is good now. It must have been an issue with the hosting company. thanks fro getting back ben.

New user

Hi to all!

I have the same problem. In new Contao installation http://.../contao/install.php gives an error:
    Code:
    Fatal error: Uncaught exception Exception with message Could not connect to database (Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)) thrown in /home/vhosting/web05/*******/system/libraries/Database.php on line 78
    Is this something wrong with Contao configuration or it's just a hosting problem (I have send them a letter and waiting for answer)?

Thanx.

Experienced user

When do you receive this error message? My guess is that the db connection variables aren't correct. The host isn't always 'localhost'.

New user

When do you receive this error message?
    When trying to run Install tool.

My guess is that the db connection variables aren't correct. The host isn't always 'localhost'.
    I tried to enter '121.0.0.1' and it gives me another error
    Code:
    Fatal error: Uncaught exception Exception with message Could not connect to database (Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 111) thrown in /home/vhosting/web05/*******/system/libraries/Database.php on line 78

New user

Just found the problem. I have to enter:
    Code:
    not 121.0.0.1

Thanx, Ben

Experienced user

I understand that you receive the message in the install tool, but when specifically do you receive the error? Is it after enter the db connection details and clicking the button? Have you confirmed that all of the db connection details are correct? Has the db been created already and the user assigned to it with full permissions? Contao does not create the db, but only connects to an existing one. (You may already know all this, but I just wanted to cover in case you didn't.)

Experienced user

Just saw your previous message ... glad you got it worked out and welcome to the Contao Community!