Thread: Categories

Default Categories

Hello.
    I have one question, because I don't know how to solve this. I'm making a portal with news, etc. and every news must contain the categories (structure example of categories: - categorie1-> news 1, news 2, - categorie2-> news 1, news 2).

Any help would be more thank welcome.
    Web design agency - EDsolution.si Izdelava spletnih strani

Experienced user

Default Re: Categories

Maybe the Tag Cloud News extension will do what you need: http://www.typolight.org/extension-list ... 29.en.html

Hm...In the front end must look like this.

Title of the news
    Catagory
    Date Author
    Text

Experienced user

Just modify news_full_tags.tpl to place the tags at the top of the article. Have a look here, where I have the tags at the bottom of the article: http://www.karenthefitnessgirl.com/blog ... chute.html

Of course...simple solution..I will work that way. But whay if there is more than one tag for the article? It will display more than one "categories" and that is not the right way to show categories, do you agree ?

Experienced user

I think the solution is simple: don't select more than one tag per article.

Yes but...I must put the different tag for article in the bottom of the article. Now if I put only one tag for news categories than will only post one tag in the ''tag cloude'' but as you know the ''tag cloud'' is from many words from the first article, second article, etc.
    I'm trying to say...for example you have 100 news and 5 categories in our case categories=tag. But in those 100 news there are usually let say 20 tags.

Do you understand me what I'm trying to tell ?

Experienced user

A few things:
    1. You don't have to use tags in articles.
    2. Just because there are typical usages for tag clouds does not mean you can't use a total of 5 tags.
    3. The tag cloud is an unordered list, so it can be styled to look like navigation categories instead of a cloud.

If you don't think it will work, then you might want to develop or commission a custom module. I happen to know that it will work perfectly for categories, though.

I think it will, but i'm better at designing as programming so developing smth. new isn't for me :/ but if you have some module which will be good for my problem I would be glad!

c'mon guys. I really need help/solution for this because I should made site working two days ago :/

User

Didn't Ben answer your question? I've used the tag module many times for categories and it works fine. You just have to use it as a category tool knowing you can't have 100 tags or else the list would be too long.

Experienced user

I'm confused when I read your original post, and then read your replies...

Are news items 1:1 with categories? Does each news item belong to one (and only one) category?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is this -- in what way doesn't the built-in ability to create multiple news archives (one archive per category) with multiple news items in each archive NOT meet your needs for this site?
    Brian

Experienced user

If you don't like the tags solution, then set up a different news archive for each category.

EDIT: I didn't realize Justin and Brian had posted on page 2 when I wrote this. We've given you 2 excellent options, so I'm sure you can figure out which approach best suits your situation. :?