Thread: Layout Usage Doubt

User

Default Layout Usage Doubt

My boss is been after me for a while about my layout usage. I created a website which has around 15 pages. All these 15 pages use the same tpl. I created the whole website using 15 layouts. Is this the correct method? I mean is there a way to reduce the number of layouts? I just couldnt find a way to show different data without using another layout even though the presentation of the data is the same in all pages.
    Please reply

Experienced user

Default Re: Layout Usage Doubt

15 pages could easily use just 1page layout.
    You include all modules that are common to all pages (header image, navigation etc) in the page layout, and add any exclusive modules or any content to a particular page via articles.
    A second page layout would only really be needed if you wanted a particular page (or set of pages) to look entirely different
    or not contain modules that your first page layout does.
    my 2c.

User

Default Re: Layout Usage Doubt

I honestly thought we needed layout for every page. Gosh i was so wrong. Thanks for the tip. I got another problem with the user permission. I made a new user with only permission to the 'Articles' section. When i logged in as the new user i only have the Article module on the left. But when i selected the module, my site tree was not displayed and i couldnt create new article.
    I also couldnt see the article i already added to the site from my login. How does this user permission work then?