Thread: Catalog 2

User

Default Catalog 2

Hi,

I'm about to start a new project and will be using the catalog module. I want to use the alpha version of catalog 2 and was wondering if there wil be a beta version out soon and if i install the alpha manually when version 2 comes into the extension repository will i be able to upgrade through it?

Also any ideas of when a beta or stable version will be released?

Thanks
    360fusion: Virtual Tours - Web Design
    Social Media: Twitter - Facebook Page

Experienced user

Default Re: Catalog 2

Short: Use Alpha, its good enough for production and it's upgrade safe...

User

Just what I needed to know. I haven't found any problems with the Alpha version yet.

Thanks

User

Hello, just to make sure. Can someone confirm this:

The Catalog your talkin about is the file "catalog2.0.a3.zip" on http://code.google.com/p/typolight-cata ... loads/list
    Is that right or is there a newer version out?

User

Hi Valentin

Yes, that's the version I use.

User

Does the catalog navigation (costummenu) already work?

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=964&start=0&hilit=catalog+nav igation

User

Quote Originally Posted by valentin
    Does the catalog navigation (costummenu) already work?

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=964&start=0&hilit=catalog+nav igation
    No, there is no frontend module yet. Backend works fine, except there are no translations and icons and so on.
    S.C.A.R.E

User

I've tried to use it, but taxonomy doesn't work
    /typolight/main.php?do=taxonomy gives blank screen
    Then I've tried to use it with old taxonomy.. works.. but filter module doesn't work rght.. sorting, searching, but not filtering
    typolight 2.8.0 & 2.8.1 — the same...
    VPS with freeBSD, php 5.2, MySQL.. 755 rights on all files and directories..
    I forge my wisdom
    Into an arc surrounding all.
    I forge my heartbeat
    To a dome all heavens wide

User

well... if install backend filterwiz — filtering works..
    BUT
    filtering by field, that is a child (non first-level) in taxonomy — error.
    searchbox gives an error too..
    I forge my wisdom
    I forge my heartbeat

New user

Hi,

I´ve installed the latest beta version of catalog 2 and it looks realy promising! Great job!

But one funny thing happend though... I can no longer edit my articles when I click the little pen-icon all typolight displays an empty page whith the text "No layout specified". Realy weird!?

Im using TL 2.8.1 on the particular installation.

Regards,
    Mike

User

i have had the same problem as mike in a couple of website's i have been working on... i think it might have something to do with having the normal catalog module installed then overwriting it with the alpha. not sure though, if anyone knows a fix that would be amazing.

thanks.

Ste

New user

I would appreciate a solution to this problem as well.

Experienced user

Well since you didn't post any problem info, there's not much we can do...? more specific about what is the problem?

PS. You should not use an ALPHA version for production sites, especially upgrading... rather install this from scratch to a NEW client site.

New user

thyon you're right :-)

I had version 1 of the catalog installed on my TL version 2.8.2, and i uninstalled it (and all the related extension) from the extension manager. After that i installed version 2.0a3 of the catalog.

Now when I go to Catalog in the BE i get this error:
    Code:
    Runtime notice: Declaration of CatalogExt::removeOldFeeds() should be compatible with that of Controller::removeOldFeeds() in /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/system/modules/catalog/CatalogExt.php on line 39
    #0 /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/system/modules/catalog/CatalogExt.php(39): __error(2048, 'Declaration of ...', '/var/www/vhosts...', 39, Array)
    #1 /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/system/functions.php(55): include_once('/var/www/vhosts...')
    #2 [internal function]: __autoload('CatalogExt')
    #3 /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/system/libraries/System.php(145): get_class_methods('CatalogExt')
    #4 /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/system/modules/catalog/dca/tl_catalog_types.php(748): System->import('CatalogExt')
    #5 /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/system/drivers/DC_Table.php(198): tl_catalog_types->generateFeed(Object(DC_Table))
    #6 /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/system/modules/backend/Backend.php(149): DC_Table->__construct('tl_catalog_type...')
    #7 /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/typolight/main.php(99): Backend->getBackendModule('catalog')
    #8 /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/typolight/main.php(295): Main->run()
    #9 {main}

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/system/functions.php:132) in /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/system/libraries/Template.php on line 174
    #0 [internal function]: __error(2, 'Cannot modify h...', '/var/www/vhosts...', 174, Array)
    #1 /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/system/libraries/Template.php(174): header('Content-Type: t...')
    #2 /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/system/modules/backend/BackendTemplate.php(136): Template->output()
    #3 /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/typolight/main.php(286): BackendTemplate->output()
    #4 /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/typolight/main.php(102): Main->output()
    #5 /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/typolight/main.php(295): Main->run()
    #6 {main}
    I hope that someone can help me solved this issue :-)

Experienced user

I didn't code the feeds section... xtra will have to modify the code to match the new definition of TL's new version. leo must have changed the removeOldFeeds() function with new parameters, so now its not working... Normally leo doesn't change hooks that often, so this is a unusual situation.

In the meantim, just EDIT the CatalogExt.php file and modify the first line entry to this:

Code:
    	public function removeOldFeedsHOOK($blnReturn=false)

User

I'm sorry, but can you say something about problem, that I've described earlier?(
    About non-working taxonomy...
    In versions 2.8.0—2.8.3 trying to enter taxonomy in backend results in blank screen...
    What it can be?

PS
    I've downloaded catalog 2.0.3a from googlecode, unpacked it and updated the database.. That's right?
    Also tried to unpack catalog before installing and install then — all the same...

Thank you
    I forge my wisdom
    I forge my heartbeat

User

Amazing, version 2 beta now in extension repository.

Just upgraed through repository on dev site (backed up of course) working like a charm so far.

Great work guys.
    Thanks

User

wow! that's really awesome news
    Thyon, you're best)
    I forge my wisdom
    I forge my heartbeat

Experienced user

Hey guys. It's a team effort... more than 5 people are helping to craft the new Catalog 2.

Quote Originally Posted by thyon
    Hey guys. It's a team effort... more than 5 people are helping to craft the new Catalog 2.
    Thanks thyon and thanks to all the group :D
    Paolo B.
    Contao ambassador
    ContaoCms.it - Sito di riferimento per la comunità italiana

New user

Quote Originally Posted by PaoloB
    Quote Originally Posted by thyon
    Thanks thyon and thanks to all the group :D
    Thanks on behalf of MacKP (The guy that tested and suggested many features and filed tons of bugs) and myself.

We really hope you like the catalog and please keep filing any found bug so we can make the beta phase not too long.

Greetings from the annual TYPOlight user meeting in Germany.
    Chris

New user

Well since you didn't post any problem info, there's not much we can do...? more specific about what is the problem?
    Well I´m sorry for the lack of info but that is pretty much what happens. And now it happend again in another installation.

1. I installed the latest version of the catalog from the extension repository in back-end (I already had a previous version installed).
    2. After installing the catalog i can no longer edit the content of articles (articles which only contains modules seems to work fine for some reason).

This is how it looks:

Regards,
    Mike

Experienced user

be more experimental... just getting stuck on the first error doesn't help you get past the hurdle...

1. try clearing out your user cache (in profile)
    2. clear out the SYSTEM cache too (maintenance)
    3. try enabling debug mode
    4. re-save all your field definitions (open and just save and close)
    5. re-save ALL your catalog modules

AND, that error is a TL error and has nothing to do with the catalog... The catalog would generate an error, which means you probably haven't configured your install correctly.

New user

Hi,

I have done all of the above allready. Since there wasn´t much data in the catalogs I even uninstalled the extension and manually double-checked to se that all files realy were gone. Then I started all over with a clean installation of the catalog. But I´m sorry to say the problem is stil there...

AND, that error is a TL error and has nothing to do with the catalog... The catalog would generate an error, which means you probably haven't configured your install correctly.
    I actually re-installed Tl too. But the thing is that the problem goes away when I uninstall the catalog so it have to be directly linked to it some how.

Experienced user

no that is not true. there could be a conflict between the catalog and another extension like folderurl. you still haven't provided us with any information, so we cannot help you... if turning on debug mode doesn't work, then there is NO error to fix.... you are the only person experiencing this, so its NOT the catalog...

New user

I´m not the only one,
    i have had the same problem as mike in a couple of website's i have been working on... i think it might have something to do with having the normal catalog module installed then overwriting it with the alpha. not sure though, if anyone knows a fix that would be amazing.
    I would appreciate a solution to this problem as well.
    I have no other extensions installed except the depending once.

Well obvioulsy there is some sort of error going on. Somthing must be colliding somewhere. I´m not a programmer and I´m not good at debugging I am afraid so I´m totally in the dark as to what information you need.

But please guide me!

When I inactivate the catalog extension in "settings" everything works fine again!!?

New user

found somthing here that might be helpful

if I go to line 209 in catalog->config->config.php and comment that line like so:

Code:
    /**
     * Register hook to add rss feeds to the layout
     */
    //$GLOBALS['TL_HOOKS']['parseFrontendTemplate'][] = array('CatalogExt', 'parseFrontendTemplate');
    everything works fine. But I dont have the slightest idea of what I did or why that worked !!?

Experienced user

you're definately NOT running beta1, because we fixed that problem after alpha3 already... You need to force a refresh of the files by clicking the REPAIR checkbox...

New user

it says so in the extension manager and there is no difference if I do a repair or not

Experienced user

it appears that the fix we did for that didn't ripple to the latest beta 1. I've update the online files, so just update and it will update to the new build.

New user

Thanks for taking the time to reply and the fast update!
    Now everything works fine.

I understand from an other post that you have left the development of the catalog navigation to someone else, but you have a clue as to when we might see a working example?

Best regards,

Mike

Experienced user

Its working in the beta1 already, just not 100% to my design. You can add a navigation to your LIST page and it will filter and display a auto-expanding menu of tree items -- exactly like a nav page tree. It will also show items. However, it doesn't yet allow you to use it on the READER page, as that doesn't yet resolved backwards from the item to identify the root point and expand that. These routines are quite hectic in their logic, so it will take a bit of time to get them to work 100%.

This will help you because the filter cannot provide a tree view of items yet. You have to use the navigation tree.

New user

However, it doesn't yet allow you to use it on the READER page
    Thats why I thought it didnt work properly...

These routines are quite hectic in their logic, so it will take a bit of time to get them to work 100%.
    Even though my programming skills are very limited I can see that would be complicated. It will be a really sweet feature when its done though!

... the filter cannot provide a tree view of items yet.
    Is it planded to support tree view in a future release!? That would be really sweet because thats just what I need

This is what I´m trying to build:

Main category 1
    --> Sub category level 2
    ---> Sub category level 3
    --> Sub category level 2

Main category 1
    --> Sub category level 2
    ---> Sub category level 3
    --> Sub category level 2

When you click Main category the list would show all items from all sub categories and so on as you "filter" your way down.

As I understand it the Catalog navigation only shows products from the active selection which is a problem in my case.

I guess this could be soleved by having 3 selects in the catalog one for each level and that way "connect" each item to the relevant levels in the tree. But thats gonna be a hassle for the client but I cant see any better solution right now.

I would also want to connect one item to many different categories but I guess that would be even more comlicated to build in to the system then getting the nav to work on readerpage. But is this somthing you have thought of trying to build? It would be an awsome feature.

Regards,

Mike

Experienced user

The Catalog Nav will "reset" the main category, but you can add a filter below that on the same list page and then you can STILL add multiple other categories to fine tune the list... This is how I am testing the module...

PS you don't have to use the ITEMS feature, you can turn it off and then add the FILTER to further filter the list.

New user

Hi,
    thanks a lot for your tips and tricks!

The Catalog Nav will "reset" the main category
    yeah I just thought of that almost directly after I hit submit... ops:

What I´m trying to achive is somthing like this:

Where if you select a category in the navigation the list would show items in that category and its subcategories as explained previously.

You would also have the option to filter and order the already filtered list.

Your way would, if I understand you right, would almost cut it but not all the way. But i guess thats the next best thing.

To achive what I (or rather the client) want I cant see any other way than to:

1. Build an ordinary page tree
    2. Use the page tree insted of the tl_taxonomy as a select in the catalog to conect the item to a category (page)
    3. Make a s***t load of listing and reading modules for each page (If I want the menu to trail, otherwise it would be easier)

Or am I over comlicating stuff!?

User

If you use an ordinary pagetree, You can eliminate your massive amounts of list modules by using a filter to only show Items that match the current page/category your in. You would create a single "filtered" module for your category and subcatgory pages and in that module (in the filter box), you would have something like:

Code:
    product_category={{env::page_id}}  AND product_status!=32
    This is from the site I'm currently designing. I decided to eliminate the breadcrumb trail once on the product page, so, any click you make on a product will take you to a unified reader page. The breadcrumb does work up until that point though.

New user

Hi harley!

Thanks for your tip!
    I thought of this allready. If I settle whith the menu to "reset" on the reader page this would work just fine, but if I want the menu to work as expected all the way thats when I would have to make a listing and a reader for each category. But this would be a real hassle for the client to update. So I guess I´ll have to settle with the way you describe.

Thanks again for taking the time to look in to my problem

/Mike

@harley77 Thank you for your solution about "product_category={{env:age_id}}" it works like charm.
    Web design agency - EDsolution.si Izdelava spletnih strani