Thread: A Pleasant Discovery about image meta text

Experienced user

Default A Pleasant Discovery about image meta text

Just discovered this, thought I'd share....

Uploading a file as, or renaming on the server or in the File Manager to
    A test to see how long the name of an image can be. And ,if it can contain grammar. And if it displays ok if the filename is too long for the box. Not sure which characters are illegal.jpg
    seems to me a great solution to the problems involved with providing Meta text to a photo.

In Gallery (on mouseover), or in a Lightbox this text string is displayed minus the ".jpg"... I think because of the fact that if you don't provide meta, the filename is used instead.
    In the File Manager you can see at a glance the meta text, as it is the filename. Delete the file and the meta goes with it.

I'm sure this technique won't be always appropriate, and maybe someone can see a drawback, but in my case I've discovered its much easier than using MetaCreator to create a Meta.txt for each photo in Gallery.

EDIT
    /\:*?"<>|
    I think these are the characters you can't use

User

Default Re: A Pleasant Discovery about image meta text

I use the same naming technique and we're certainly not alone.
    The problem for me is that the Scandinavian letters (like ÅÄÖÆØ) is translated to A and OE. Maybe I'll post a request for a "code/decode" feature that can handle these characters. Shouldn't be too hard to implement.