Thread: Clean setup

Experienced user

Default Clean setup

TL comes with the music academy sample installed which for most users is a nice way to get to see how certain things are done. however, most won't want to start from there. Setting up a clean install everytime is a lot of work as well. So I've made a clean install sql which you can include during install.php and this will do the following things:

1. Create a main navigation module.[/*:m:3vewsxyl]
    2. Create a default page layout containing the navigation in the header and Articles in Main.[/*:m:3vewsxyl]
    3. Create 4 basic pages with temporary content: root, home, contact and contact form received.[/*:m:3vewsxyl]
    4. Create seperate user groups for each basic task.[/*:m:3vewsxyl]
    5. Create two users; one administrator and one customer admin who receives all rights except "make user administrator".[/*:m:3vewsxyl]
    6. Create a contact form that contains all email format fields.[/*:m:3vewsxyl]
    7. Changed some of the default settings including <script><style> and <embed> as valid elements and changeing default access rights.[/*:m:3vewsxyl]

A few things should be considered:
    • You still need to make some files writable on server. Do not forget sitemap.nl.xml in the root.[/*:m:3vewsxyl]
    • Default company name (http://www.designxpress.nl) has to be changed in Site structure (pagenames) and in users.[/*:m:3vewsxyl]
    • Default email address is info@company.nl which also needs to be changed.[/*:m:3vewsxyl]
    • Default user accounts are "admin" => "designxpress" (real administrator) and "Administrator" => "designxpress" (normal user with lots of permissions). (You should change these passwords directly after installation for obvious reasons)[/*:m:3vewsxyl]

How to use
    Use the zip file and extract it in TL root before running install.php. The templates folder should now contain "clean-setup.sql", if not make sure it does before proceeding. Next follow standard installation procedures. Except during the install.php process you choose "clean-setup.sql" as import template when you are given the option to do so. This will set everything up.

Why should you use this
    This saves me 1 hour in setup time for each website, giving me a clean start!! It does all of the standard setup for you... I combine it with an altered version of the standard installation files so I also get the filestructure, templates and extra plugins I always use.

Future TL versions
    There is a small chance that this file will also work with future versions of TL. If not then someone (me?) could post a new version of this file. You can still use this version if you'd install TL 2.8.1 with this sql file then remove all standard TL files and copy in the new TL version. After running install.php you would most likely be up-to-date.

• 2.8.1 file will work for TL versions up to (and including) TL 2.8.3[/*:m:3vewsxyl]
    • 2.9 file was created for Contao version 2.9.RC1 and might work for newer versions. I still use it for 2.9.3[/*:m:3vewsxyl]

Experienced user

Default Re: Clean setup

Great stuff Ruud and Vera, I look forward to trying this out later this week.
    It would be fantastic to get a collection of these for different situations, but I figure you don't think they're very update proof?

Experienced user

Well, this setup is suitable for all situations as it presents a clean setup without any presumptions towards future use; I always need every part of this setup. Except for the user groups I added, but removing some each time takes up less time then adding a few each time.

It is a given that TL will change the database structure (adding and removing columns) at almost every new version. Changes might be both minor and major. If a column is removed or renamed that means this sql will fail. If a column is added the sql and TL might still work but could result in unpredictable behavior. There is no way to predict and no guarantees can be given. Luckily, like I said, updating the file for new tl versions isn't that hard so the file can be maintained.

Experienced user

Create two users; one administrator and one customer admin who receives all rights except "make user administrator".
    Out of the box my "Customer Admin" cannot create pages or edit articles, even though he belongs to all User Groups.
    Is this intended?

Experienced user

Nope, it isn't. Thanks for pointing that out!

Edit:
    I realize what the problem is; I had my default localconfig file still in all my "clean" setups. That included permissions. The startpost has been edited, the file now includes the permissions on the rootpage.

Experienced user

All good now.
    This is very handy Ruud thank you very much. A great basis to build from. I hadn't thought of using User Groups in that fashion... an excellent concept.

Maybe one more instruction for your first post instructions.... if you want the contact form operative you need to edit the Contact Form header in the Form Generator and check "Send form data via e-mail" and add the "Recipient Address" .
    Its probably obvious but I overlooked it.

User

Thanks! (my idea )

User groups came up that way when I wanted to trick a demanding customer in believing he had full control like I did. I didn't trust him snooping around in the page layout so this is what I came up with. He luckily never noticed the different user icon color.

ps, this is probably not the way user groups were intended, but it is the way they work best for all of our customers up till now...

Experienced user

I'll try and maintain this page for future versions. Today I updated from 2.8.1. to 2.8.2 and the only change was a column value for a table that is not in the sql file. That means 2.8.2 will work with this file!

Check the starting post for compatibility.

Experienced user

I made a version for Contao 2.9.RC1. I'll change it if needed...

Experienced user

I have another suggestion. Why not setup tasks in the task manager for the final config bits:
    So when you log in, they are there waiting. You can bypass the preset dates, by modifying the SQL to include the current date and the due date.

(1) Settings Name/Email Settings
    (2) Contact Form e-mail

Would have been nice to support links in the comments of the Task Manager, because then we can create tasks with immediate links to edit screens.

Alternatively a nice idea would be to extend the install script to ask this information at startup and auto-configure a default site.

User

Hi Ruud,

Your setup looks interesting, I recently developed an extension for exporting contents from a Contao installation I named it: Im.Ex.

I have also launched (a couple of minutes ago) a website to share contents created through the Im.Ex. extension and also for sharing themes for Contao.

I would like to install your setup, try to export it through the Im.Ex. extension and make it available for free download at contaotemplates.com. This way it can be installed without the needs of a "blank" database, and also will be uninstallable "with a click".

I, of course, will mantain every copyright notice or whatever you put in the setup (if you have particular requests about this point, please let me know)

What do you think about this idea?
    Consulenza Contao CMS https://www.intco.it

User

The User Groups settings from the "clean setup" is available as Im.Ex. package on contaotemplates.com at http://goo.gl/hO2mT, so from now on setting up user groups will be a matter of some click

The package was created and uploaded by Ruud.

Hope this is appreciated.
    Consulenza Contao CMS https://www.intco.it