Thread: Big news website powered by TYPOlight?

New user

Default Big news website powered by TYPOlight?

Hi!
    Has anyone ever used TYPOlight to power a big, crowded news website? I'd like to use TL to rebuild one - for now it is powered by Wordpress (sic!). Do you think TYPOlight can handle it?

User

Default Re: Big news website powered by TYPOlight?

Well, me and my friend have been developing a quite big news website for some time. However we came to the conclusion that it will be better to launch it on Wordpress. WP is already written to be a blog or news portal and has many useful features like categories, tags, about author block, author/editor/etc account permissions, easy-to-use editor with uploaders and many other things.

In my opinion it is a nonsense to develop a news portal on TYPOlight. It is not impossible, but I believe the time of development is not worth it, when there are already many blogs system like WP, ExpressionEngine and others.

Clemens has a nice example in the showcase:

http://www.typolight.org/references/show/26.html
    Extensions: avatar, cron, dlstats, editarea, geshi, helpdesk, recall, rep_*, smhcheck.
    FAQ's - Documents - Tickets
    Please no help requests by PM, use the forum or ticket link above instead!

New user

Oh, I haven't noticed this example in the showcase Thanks!

Regarding Wordpress - it is not the worst platform on the planet, but it's not as flexible as it could be. It is good enough for blogging but not good enough for a news website. Every little customization in a view or logic requires looking for plugin, writing a plugin or changing template code. There are no template modules (like in TL or Joomla). WP is not as rich in out-of-box features as other platforms. I have used WP on about 10 websites so far and I'm getting tired of having to write a widget even to put a linked image in a side bar

What's more Wordpress documentation is a nightmare, especially when it comes to advanced subjects like writing plugins/widgets. Some functions (and most of the classes from newer versions) are not even mentioned in DOCS, and there is no one, consistent, comprehensive API doc.

Experienced user

Yeah, having used both, what Tru said about WP vs. TL, I probably would have said the opposite.

It's so easy and quick to set anything up, a news site would be a cinch. Plus if you have many people contributing, the user permissions system is so much better suited.

I generally enjoy developing in Wordpress, but man it is a mess. In addition to the documentation problems you mentioned, the API is just so damn sloppy.

I just don't want someone else coming across this post and thinking TL isn't suited for this -- completely incorrect.
    Brian