Thread: catalog items not included in search

New user

Default catalog items not included in search

Hi,
    what is the proper way to use the Typlolight search engine with the catalog? I'm using TL 2.8.3, catalog 0.3.6, catalog_ext 0.8.9.
    I marked the catalog as searchable and made some fields searchable. During an index rebuild I see the catalog items get indexed. They are also displayed in my sitemap.
    But the full text search results don't include any items from the catalog, no matter what keywords I used.
    Did I miss something?

Thanks
    Thomas

Experienced user

Default Re: catalog items not included in search

your confusing BE search and FE search... the fields you mark as searchable are for the BE (so the person entering the catalog items can filter/search).

You can enable FE Searching with [x] Searchable in the CATALOG edit screen only, there you also select the TITLE field to override the page title with the catalog fields value, e.g. using the property name instead of "Property Reader Page" so it appears Search Engine friendly. You also need to search index your site to make all the pages "read" so that they are properly indexed, and all your catalog pages will appear in the indexer's listed pages.

New user

I thought that I confused these two, but I was desperate and tried everything :-)
    [x] Searchable is set. The catalog pages are in the index.
    Does that mean they could be found with google but not with the included TL search engine?

Experienced user

The TL search engine will index the page so I've tested it and it does search it all using the keywords you specify.

You might just check that you don't have --- index::stop --- or other template de-activations in the code to prevent it from indexing it correctly.

New user

Thanks for you fast replies.
    Where in the code might --- index::stop --- be? I'm sure never manually added anything like that.
    you can try it out here
    this page is in the index (according to the ouput when rebuilding the index):
    http://www.ankesteininger.de/katalog.../items/72.html
    But this search doesn't return a result, although the keyword is in the title of the item:
    http://www.ankesteininger.de/sucherg...words=Pultdach

Experienced user

I think you solved this one, because I can see your catalog items in the search result...