Thread: "Catalog Featured" with Filter

User

Default "Catalog Featured" with Filter

I used to display items from a catalog with the "Catalog List". On the same page is a filter that allows to filter the items.
    Now I want to do the same but since there´s around 100 items I want to have them displayed randomly.
    I can achieve this with the use of the Modul "Catalog Featured" - unforunately the filtering doesn´t work for this modul.

So here is my question:
    Is it possible
    A) to implement this Filtering-Method into the Modul "Calatog Featured" or
    B) to achieve that in the "Order by" Field for the "Catalog List"? Something like "Date DESC" but with "item RANDOM"?

Any help is appreciated!

Experienced user

Default Re: "Catalog Featured" with Filter

this is on the cards for version 2.0. its relatively simple, but I'm going to find the time for this.

User

Okay, good to hear.
    But is it also easy to achieve with the older version? If so, could you give me a hint? In one of my projects this is everything I need to consider it "finished".

Btw.: is there approximated Release Date for 2.0?

Experienced user

You can download 2.0 already now... but the latest features are not included in the Alpha 3 build... We anticipate to release a version 2.0 beta to the repository in the next few days.

EDIT: The Featured roll-back won't be available in the previous version, since it uses too many new features.

User

okay, but this feature is none of the "latest features". in other words: the requested behaviour can be achieved with 2.0?
    is it hard to update to the 2.0 beta from the recent version of the repository?
    will it be possible to make an update from the repository once the alpha is released?

Experienced user

I have just completed this feature request yesterday. The filter is ignored when not selected, so it shows a featured item from the whole catalog. Then as you click on filters, the featured item will automatically include the filter conditions already on the same page.

Experienced user

Upgrading might not be 100% seamless.

You will have to make a backup of TL and the catalog tables, to ensure nothing goes wrong. Upgrading from alpha to beta would be minor changes.

The upgrade will ensure that you do not lose any data, but there are lots of new features, so you will have to re-save all your field definitions at least, and all your modules, to attain display consistency. There might also a manual step to remove the catalog_ex/ folder (as this is now merged into a single catalog folder), as we cannot always remove system folders automatically using the web-permissions assigned to TL.

New features like the thumbnail changes in 2.8 will have to be manually re-saved to add the additional "proportional/box" item to the definitions (catalog, fields, catalog inline display).

Ideally, you should not upgrade, but install on a fresh installation, as the alpha and beta is not intended for production sites, but can be used (as I have done that).

New user

EDIT: wanted to relay Valentin's post below, as he couldn't connect. His post went through now.

User

Quote Originally Posted by thyon
    I have just completed this feature request yesterday. The filter is ignored when not selected, so it shows a featured item from the whole catalog. Then as you click on filters, the featured item will automatically include the filter conditions already on the same page.
    Sorry, I´m confused now. What does that mean? Is that feature now implemented into the "old" catalog? Or is it in the new one? If in the new one, where can i get it?

For my specific project i´d prefer to stick to the old catalog. is it somehow possible to get that "catalog featured with filter" running?

I ran into to many problems by updating:
    i have mirrored the complete project to another server, were i can mess around a bit without losing any data. i updated the catalog, deleted the catalog extension (via FTP and then repository) but get the following error:
    Code:
    Runtime notice: Declaration of CatalogExt::removeOldFeeds() should be compatible with that of Controller::removeOldFeeds() in /www/htdocs/w00ca716/system/modules/catalog/CatalogExt.php on line 39 #0 /www/htdocs/w00ca716/system/modules/catalog/CatalogExt.php(39): __error(2048, 'Declaration of ...', '/www/htdocs/w00...', 39, Array) #1 /www/htdocs/w00ca716/system/functions.php(55): include_once('/www/htdocs/w00...') #2 /www/htdocs/w00ca716/system/libraries/System.php(145): __autoload('CatalogExt') #3 /www/htdocs/w00ca716/system/modules/catalog/dca/tl_catalog_types.php(748): System->import('CatalogExt') #4 /www/htdocs/w00ca716/system/drivers/DC_Table.php(198): tl_catalog_types->generateFeed('CatalogExt') #5 /www/htdocs/w00ca716/system/modules/backend/Backend.php(149): DC_Table->__construct(Object(DC_Table)) #6 /www/htdocs/w00ca716/typolight/main.php(99): Backend->getBackendModule('tl_catalog_type...') #7 /www/htdocs/w00ca716/typolight/main.php(295): Main->run('catalog') #8 {main}  Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/htdocs/w00ca716/system/functions.php:132) in /www/htdocs/w00ca716/system/libraries/Template.php on line 174 #0 /www/htdocs/w00ca716/system/libraries/Template.php(174): __error(2, 'Cannot modify h...', '/www/htdocs/w00...', 174, Array) #1 /www/htdocs/w00ca716/system/modules/backend/BackendTemplate.php(135): Template->output('Content-Type: t...') #2 /www/htdocs/w00ca716/typolight/main.php(286): BackendTemplate->output() #3 /www/htdocs/w00ca716/typolight/main.php(102): Main->output() #4 /www/htdocs/w00ca716/typolight/main.php(295): Main->run() #5 {main}
    when i edit a catalog item i become an empty brwoser with this message. also, some characters in the backend look strange when clicking on the catalog:
    http://idisk.me.com/ruhry/Public/Pictur ... 150022.jpg

You can check it out here: http://tinyurl.com/38f2pde

User

hi thyon,

i keep on playing around but just mess up the whole site more and more.
    i read, that pasting this code

Code:
     public function removeOldFeedsHOOK($blnReturn=false)
    in the CatalogExt.php solves the problem.
    but this didn´t work either.
    is there somehow a simple way to get the filters working for the "catalog featured" in the old version?

it´s really important for me.
    still, i´m looking forward to the new version of the catalog and thank you very much for this great extension and your help.

Experienced user

Hey Valentin

That solution does work, because since the alpha3 version, leo changed that hooks modification. I was about to post a sticky topic describing this. Please wait.

We are definately NOT going to add any more solutions to older versions in any way.

You're simply experiencing incompatibilities with TL 2.8.2/3, if you use an older version of TL, this will not happen.

Experienced user

I've posted a sticky topic with a modified download. Please check it and let me know. Otherwise, its another type of conflict.

User

Hello Thyon,

now everything seems to work.
    After the post (on top of the page) I realized that I´m simply using a wrong version of TL (2.8.1). I´ve still not updated to 2.8.3 because I thought the older Version would be causing less troubles...

Now I´m using 2.8.3 and updated to the version you´ve posted in the sticky post and it still seems fine.
    Tough I have to say that I haven´t tested it very extensivly.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I understand that you don´t want to add to much to the old version. I admit, that updating to this version (as long as you´re using 2.8.3) is not to difficult now.
    But still I haven´t solved my problem and I think it´s a matter of understanding (sorry, I´m not a native speaker).

Let me comprehence:
    The most recent version of the catalog (catalog2.0.a3b) lets me do what I need? Is that the version you´ve talked about earlier?
    If so, did I understand right, that the "Catalog Featured" Modul can now be placed next to a "Filter Modul".
    The "Catalog Featured" Modul will show for example 4 random items and once i click the filter it will show another 4 random items that are connected to the filtered option?
    Because that´s just what I´m trying to get since hours! ;-)

Thank you for your help. I appreciate your efforts very much!

Experienced user

No... The BETA1 version will let you do this. You wanted to play with the alpha3 version. That was compiled in November, and I only coded the Featured module in the last few days.

There are a number of files to download from the source to get it working... Browse the source...
    /trunk/src/catalog/

You can view the files and then download the RAW versions (the button).
    [*] ModuleCatalogFeatured.php[*] dca/tl_module.php[*] lanuages/en/tl_module.php

Those are only the ones I think with the major changes...

User

okay, now i understand.
    I guess if this feature will be working once the new catalog is here, i´d rather wait for it since my PHP is not that great.

thank you,
    v

Experienced user

I've added another download link in the source downloads so you can just download this and patch your alpha 3B installation.

http://code.google.com/p/typolight-cata ... loads/list

User

I couldn´t resist and tried to change the files with the once from google code.
    It didn´t work.
    Then I saw that you´ve made that patch (wow, thanks a lot thyon!).
    Unfortunately it doesn´t work either.

Here´s what i get in the frontend:

Code:
    Fatal error: Call to undefined method ModuleCatalogFeatured::processFieldSQL() in /www/htdocs/w00ca716/system/modules/catalog/ModuleCatalogFeatured.php on line 131
    And this in the backend:

Experienced user

oh yes, also the database.sql then...
    I have to leave, so I'll update the patch later...

User

oh, that´s nice.
    btw. i´ve patched the original database.sql with the one from google code and then updated the DB via install tool.
    the backend error is now gone but in the frontend it still says:

Code:
    Fatal error: Call to undefined method ModuleCatalogFeatured::processFieldSQL() in /www/htdocs/w00ca716/system/modules/catalog/ModuleCatalogFeatured.php on line 131
    But, I´ll just wait for the patch! Thank you!

Experienced user

Check carefully and every file it complains about, copy that file over, eg ModuleCatalog.php

Experienced user

See what I mean by its difficult to create a patch. I think I'll just post the latest build as Alpha4...

New user

Quote Originally Posted by thyon
    See what I mean by its difficult to create a patch. I think I'll just post the latest build as Alpha4...
    I was planning to release the current code base as Beta 1 later this day when you have committed your latest stuff.
    As you appear to have it committed by now, I guess I can do it within the next couple of hours, what do you think?

Regards
    Chris

Experienced user

Hey Chris

I've been sending you Skype messages without any response... Anyway, kewl. My changes have been completed, so I guess we can commit a release. I just figured out that I have absolutely NO idea how to do a compilation release from SVN... My local files all have .svn and I don't know how to remove them from the folder structure... CODA doesn't have a package command ;-)

Go ahead, make my Beta1. if you like we can package it into a E.R. release...

Hi thyon,
    Chris is now in my Castle ;-)
    So he has not all things he need *g*
    Can you give him your skype ID again?

And :
    I realy love this extension!
    I was waiting for a long time for cat 2 beta (ok, i used it many times in the alpha status.. but all other users have much problems with svn *g*)

Go forward with this extension!

regards
    Mediendepot Ruhr
    For real-time chat the (inofficial) Chatroom in IRC:
    -> irc.freenode.net #contao | irc.freenode.net #contao.de