Thread: How does an installation determine it's version?

User

Default How does an installation determine it's version?

I just upgraded a site from 2.8.2 to 2.8.3 this morning. Updating my development copy went exactly as expected; pushed the changes to SVN and then to the prod server.

All of the files seem to have been sent successfully but I still see the "TYPOlight version 2.8.3 available" under system messages on the prod server - but not dev! All files and the database appear to be up to date.

Am I missing a file modification that sets this message? Could it be a permissions issue? Our prod server does not require the safe mode hack, if that's a clue.

I found the following in system/constants.php, but it's the same in both dev and prod:
    Code:
    define('VERSION', '2.8');
    define('BUILD', '2');
    Thanks!

Default Re: How does an installation determine it's version?

Looks like this file hasn't been updated. I updated one 2.8.2 yesterday and it displays the correct version.

You should run the typolight-check to see if the other files have been updated.

User

I ran the new TL check tool and about 15-20 files (including constants.php) are listed as corrupted.

When upgrading from 2.8.2 to 2.8.3 I simply synced the directories to update the changed files. How could the file corruption have occurred? The site seems to function correctly despite the corrupted files.

Should I try unpacking a clean 2.8.3 and overwrite the existing directory structure (keeping localconfig, tl_files, etc preserved)?

User

Well I got it fixed up by going through typolight-check.php and manually replacing all the corrupted files with clean ones from a 2.8.3 installer. Seems to have resolved any problems across the board.

I'd still like to know how any possible ways the files became corrupted to begin with, however!

Seems like your syncing wasn't very efficient and outdated files haven't been updated .

Did you consider using the LiveUpdate-Feature? It's ubereasy and very efficient (and not at all costly).

User

I swapped to Live Update for my sites about a month ago. It saves me loads of time and hassle, wish I had done it from day one.