Thread: catalog URL

New user

Default catalog URL

Hi to all.
    Is there a way to delete the "/items/" piece from the URL of the catalog page generated when I browse catalog elements?
    I saw that this piece of URL is present in both:
    ModuleCatalog.php
    CatalogExt.php
    I tried to replace this "/items/" with only a "/" and it seems to be working only in the typolight's indexed pages, but when I want to browse a catalog element the "page cannot be found"... (only if I add manually the "/items/" piece to the URL I can see the catalog's element details)
    Is there a way to delete completelly this piece of URL?
    thanks.

Experienced user

Default Re: catalog URL

This is following the standard READER module guidelines for Contao (TL). You could possibly do this using mod_rewrite keywords in the .htaccess file in your tl_root. TL is simply doing this:

page.html?items=thisismyitemalias

... and already re-maps this to a unified url:
    page/items/thisismyitemalias.html

so without the items=? part, there is no GET variable, making the entire system non-functional.

New user

Hi,

USE PLEASE urlcleaner, I'LL LEAVE HERE THIS SOLUTION ONLY FOR UNEXPECTED NEED OF HARDCODING.

I have been working on that for three hours. Last comment in this post helps me a lot to solve this problem.

To replace 'items' for whatever you want you need:

1) To find the files:
    root/system/modules/catalog/CatalogExt.php
    root/system/modules/catalog/ModuleCatalog.php
    root/system/modules/catalog/ModuleCatalogEdit.php

and in each of them replace all instances of "items" with "anythingIWant"

2) Find the file root/.htaccess and insert on first line (before any code)

Code:
    RewriteRule ^(.+)/anythingIWant/(.+).html$ %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/$1.html?items=$2 [L]
    3) Set in your contao administration->settings mod_rewrite to enabled (check the checkbox)

:!: NOTE: :!:
    1) You need mod_rewrite enabled on your server
    2) Everything in quotes refers to exact string in file, so find all instances of "items" without quotes and so on
    3) Replace "anythingIWant" with any string which can be passed to url, I strongly recommend something in format like "dvd" or "dvd_collection"
    4) The final URL will be like:
    Code:
    http://www.domain.xy/catalogAlias/anythingIWant/alias.html

New user

Wow! beautiful!
    Does it works fine?
    I'll try it in the next catalogs I'll make!
    Thanks a lot!
    Giancarlo.

User

Hello,

in the meantime there's a the extension urlcleaner which can remove the /item/ (and other unwanted parts like for events and news) from the URL. This might make your work more easy. ;-)

Jan
    Free support only here in the forum.
    Please report bugs for my extensions using http://www.contao-forge.org. Thanks!
    Requests for Contao support and development please send mail to jan@theofel.de

New user

Quote Originally Posted by ETES
    Hello,

in the meantime there's a the extension urlcleaner which can remove the /item/ (and other unwanted parts like for events and news) from the URL. This might make your work more easy. ;-)

Jan
    Hi,

this is a much better way to remove that ugly url fragments. Please use the urlcleaner and NOT the hardcoding I've posted above.

Hardcoding is NOT a way of object oriented programming and potentially can cause problem of compactibility.

Even so, I hope that my solution helps someone, before this extension was released.

Thank you ETES

New user

So, I'll try it!