Thread: Using Tags in the BE

User

Default Using Tags in the BE

I'm currently building a product catalog (among other things). In this catalog, I have a few different types of products. Some of these products have accessories which happen to be other products in the same catalog. Not a problem, using tags and referencing the catalog, I can click a check next to each "accessory" product that goes with the main product. The issue I see coming up is when I have LOTS of products, this check box list is going to be huge. Is there a current way or a planned feature to have a collapsed view of a tag list? I'm thinking of something identical to the select drop down, but with check boxes instead of the single select radio options.

Experienced user

Default Re: Using Tags in the BE

This would be much easier if you made it loose and used the related module to list related products by intersecting some other variables, e.g. an accessories category/group, or a shared category.

You could also mark an item as an accessory and then link it loosely using a condition, accessory=1, and then also tick the shared product category and accessory group to be the same....

If you really do have to manually connect items, then by using a multi-select is the worst possible control to use, as it is extremely easy to click without CTRL held down, and then you lose all the currently selected items. Otherwise, you can make the accessory selection have a pre-defined parent filter, or have a parent filter that picks up from the current item, e.g. its category...

PS. Since graphics and other options are not allowed in a Select drop-down, you cannot create a custom control, as HTML doesn't support it natively, and then you become reliant on javascript to have a new control.

User

Default Re: Using Tags in the BE

Yeah, that's kind of what I was seeing. Unfortunately in this case, there isn't always clearly defined reference point that is shared between Parent and Accessory items. It needs to be completely open as to what accessories we are relating to each parent item.

Like I said, It works great, it just may become really long.

Thank you for your help and a truly AWESOME extension for Contao. I can't wait until this new project is finished to show you what I've managed to do with it.