Thread: Isotope - Variant setup

New user

Default Isotope - Variant setup

Hi,

Where can I set "Variant setup"?
    I see only the sentence "Please select the combination of values for this variant." and nothing more

Thank you for your help

Default Re: Isotope - Variant setup

In product types you need to define fields that will be used in variant combinations. Once you do that you will then see the options available in the variant product...

I have posted both the English and German version of the setup manual which should help you get started:

http://www.isotopeecommerce.com/manual.html

User

Hi
    I've X products, every of each with different options/variants.
    Example:
    - PRODUCT ONE has 2 versions: blue & red
    - PRODUCT TWO has 3 versions: S, M & L
    - PRODUCT THREE has 2 variants: high & small
    and so on... so, I've not different variants of same type, I've different type of variants.
    The variants has same descritpions, same prices, etc., the only different thing is the name of the variant

I tried to configure isotope in order to create a simple management of this situation, but I can't, I don't understand how I can do
    Thanks

Experienced user

You create attributes for each property (color, size, ...). Then product type for each "variation".

I think you are using the terms "product type" and "variant" in another way...

User

maybe I'm not using the correct words, sorry for my english
    however, I understand from your email that I've to create attributes and product types for every products, but, as I've written, every product has particular attributes and create product types is a long work. you can see in the old site:
    http://www.fbibaits.com/boster-bomb-p-226.html has 4 variants (aroma)
    http://www.fbibaits.com/coloranti-p-213.html has 3 variants (color)
    http://www.fbibaits.com/spyder-p-126.html (model)
    and so on...

Experienced user

I've looked at your links and it isn't as much work as you would think.

There are several products that have one attribute (aroma, Confezione, Color, Diametro and perhaps some others) You would need to create a product type for each type of product only looking at which attributes are in. So one product type "Aroma products" has the attribute aroma. You add all aroma's to that attribute.

From there you have the choice to use the default Isotope behavior via variations (which I think is preferred in this case), or install my extension http://www.contao.org/extension-list/vi ... elect.html. Using variations you create a product like "BOSTER BOMB" and then add variations for the 4 aroma's which you can now select from a list of all aroma's. Using my extension you'd create the product and select the 4 options from the list of all aroma's before saving.

But I'd try variations first.

User

where can I found a guide about how to configure variants? it isn't an easy operation... thanks

User

variations is too long, for 10 products I've to create 10 attributes (with 3-4 options) and 10 product types: it's absurd!

I only need a menu selection where write name of the variant!

if there are insert tags I can create ONE attribute and use name of the variant in it in front end
    or modifyng template of options:

Code:
    <div class="options">
    <?php echo implode("\n", $this->options); ?>
    </div>
    where can I modify it? I need to show name of the variant in place of label of attribute

Experienced user

You get it all wrong.
    • Attributes are product properties and can be used in any product type. For example color or size (no insert tag required).[/*:m:7stg4pz0]
    • Product types define what a product looks like. You can say the product jacket will always have the attribute color.[/*:m:7stg4pz0]
    • Products are of a product type. This makes the way the product is displayed.[/*:m:7stg4pz0]

With that said, variants: A product that we see as "the same product, but in a different color", is strictly speaking a separate product. Most manufacturers would have different product ids for both. In e-commerce you would normally group those variations into one product. Isotope gives you two options. You can add an attribute to the product with all options selectable. You'd do this if all combinations of all attribute choices can be ordered. But also if no attribute choice influences the price (I'll get back to this part). If you cannot offer a certain option from your list you need variations. A variant is a separate product, grouped with all other variations of a product, into seemingly one product for the customer.

My extension can help to limit the amount of variations as soon as the attributes always influence prices the same way. For example XL always costs 10% more. Combined with another extension of mine that can leave out certain attribute options for certain products you get "near variation behavior". The big difference is that you don't manage several variations of a product, but one attribute field.

setting up, normal
    • create an attribute, make it select type and add options. Also make it customer selectable[/*:m:7stg4pz0]
    • if you want to use my extension then you can now define price changes for each option you create[/*:m:7stg4pz0]
    • create a product type and select the attribute as part of this product type[/*:m:7stg4pz0]
    • add products[/*:m:7stg4pz0]
    • done[/*:m:7stg4pz0]

setting up, variants
    • add attribute, add it to variation wizard if it needs to be selected but not all option combinations are always available[/*:m:7stg4pz0]
    • my extension does not work on variants, so don't try to use it.[/*:m:7stg4pz0]
    • add product type, make it a variation[/*:m:7stg4pz0]
    • select the attribute[/*:m:7stg4pz0]
    • create product[/*:m:7stg4pz0]