Thread: Taxonomy to filter anything else than Catalog ?

User

Default Taxonomy to filter anything else than Catalog ?

Hello Thyon,

Yes, I did read (somewhere in the extensions list rep.) that taxonomy is only designed for use with catalog.

But, could you consider extending it to adding specific fields directly in articles, news or events with which, for example, one could filter articles, news or events in corresponding list modules.

Only if such a module doesn't exists yet.

Thanks for your answer.

Charled

Experienced user

Default Re: Txonomy to filter anything else than Catalog ?

hey charled.

The taxonomy is just a select system for the catalog yes. It's just a cheap way to create simple DB entries with aliases.

A TAGGING system is already developed for news, calendar and other apps by several people. Just search for tags in the extension repository. This will create that type of tag cloud thing you're looking for. Basically in the tags extension I know, you have a text field and you just enter a comma-list of "tags" these can be anything, e.g. ps3,psp3,xbox,xbox360
    which would then tag the article with those keywords so you can tag could/search them.

User

Default Re: Taxonomy to filter anything else than Catalog ?

Thanks for your answer.

I know the tagging modules that i do use. My problem is to be able to limit the tags and/or the number of tags one can use in an article. So, I'd rather need a categorizing (instead of tagging) module that I don't find. And I thought taxonomy lists could be a nice way to define the categories that can be used.

Experienced user

Default Re: Txonomy to filter anything else than Catalog ?

It can be, but you'd have to replace the current tags field with the TaxonomyTree field to incorporate this. Since I didn't develop the other systems, I can't extend them to use Taxonomy instead of their text field. There is also no current way to limit the checked tags to only a certain amount, e.g. 5 tags only

User

Quote Originally Posted by thyon
    It can be, but you'd have to replace the current tags field with the TaxonomyTree field to incorporate this.
    If you're just saying it's possible, please how (since I'm not php developer) ?

Since I didn't develop the other systems, I can't extend them to use Taxonomy instead of their text field. There is also no current way to limit the checked tags to only a certain amount, e.g. 5 tags only
    I created a discussion in the appropriate forum but have no answer for the moment. Instead, this could become another specific developpement as it seems there is no categorizing module for Contao. For the moment, the way is perhaps to create one news module by category one want to manage.

Experienced user

There is no categorization system for TL. Leo didn't want to add this, as this was primarily used in blogging systems, and he kicked and screamed that TL was not a blog tool, but a CMS.

In TL, not all content is crafted the same way, so clicking on a general category, would require each and every extension that supports it to provide some type of renderer to display its contents in preview and provide a link to the content item. That is double-work as this is already done with list and reader modules.

You can use search words to search, so why would you need tags. Tags are just a visual listing of keyword terms.

Basically in TL, you have to turn your mind inside out. Use the News Archives as categories. But this does mean that you can't post one item into multiple categories, unless you copy them.

TL was simply not engineered for a categorisation system. Therefore it becomes extremely difficult to add it in afterwards. Using the text-based or other tags solutions is the best option. Your BE users are usually well-trained and won't add keywords that are useless anyway... In fact, they are the keyword managers.

User

Ok, I understand.

In facts, i have to create a website where a part is to list concerts with their date, place... and the player/orchestra and his biography. My problem is that I don't have to sort by date (month or year) but by season which goes from september this year to end july the next year.

So I'm loooking for the best way to make it for it'st still simple for my clients who will have to manage this for thi season and the next to come.

- Is it possible with articles ? The best for layout designing but prehaps too much for my client and how to manage seasons (a page = a season and all the articles in this page) ?
    - News : news archive by season and tags to specify the category (rock, pop...)
    - Articles with tags ?
    - From scratch with Catalog so I can create specific fields but how to link a concert entry into a news or an article ?

So many questions ;-)

Experienced user

Well articles won't be a good idea, because you've got formatted data that needs to be filtered and categorized.

Why not use the Events Calendar rather. Create calendars (groups) for Rock, Pop, etc. and make sure that the calendars are unique, e.g. that you don't post an event in more than one calendar. Rather make a fusion calendar and only post it once in there.

The events are DATE based, so a calendar makes sense, because then you can also style the calendars together on a single calendar but color each event's "category" with a different color. Rock is brown, pop is yellow, etc.

The catalog info doesn't have a calendar renderer, so that won't work.

You can rather extend the events system with special additional variables, e.g. Member ID (band or individual), which you can just retrieve using a callback (see my gallery extension), and then you can just click and select a member. Then you can use the member profile to display that ID.

You can optionally ALSO add tags (look for the tags extension that also adds it to events) and then use that to further slice and dice the info.

You might have to do some custom development work, and I'd be happy to quote you on that.

There are many ways to do this.

User

Hello,
    and thanks for spending so many time helping me better understand TYP… Contao ;-)

I forgot to write it in my last post but I tried with Calendar/Events too. But I have 2 problems to deal with :
    1. With some events, my client will have to add a biography and want it to be shown beside (and not under) the event in the FE. Not hard to do with css, of course but, as there is only one long text field in Calendar/Event item (or News…) how to simply insert the <div class="bio">…</div> tags to define the different parts (for my client can do it himself) ?
    2. I have to separate the actual season events from the formers one.

For these two reasons, I think about creating a catalog with all the fields I need (included biography text field) and a season list in taxonomy. So I can manage with the field in the FE and make two catalog list to filter on the season (= or !=).
    My client will only have to add a new season in taxonomy list when needed and change the id in the two catalog list (which is not so difficult with a good tutorial ;-)

PS : that's why I think Catalog should become not only be an extension for creating independent lists but a core module of Contao for adding fields anywhere it's needed and filter on them if necessary.

PS 2 : not really a problem but is there a way to show Catalogs at the first level of the Content left BE menu (without having to clic first on catalog) ?