Thread: Advantages and Disadvantages of Contao vs Joomla

Default Advantages and Disadvantages of Contao vs Joomla

Greetings to all the community Contao

I wonder at the technical level than advantages and disadvantages Contao CMS.

Joomla currently is in its version 1.5 and is now in version 1.6 beta

Someone has done a technical study to analyze Contao vs Joomla?

I have some questions?

1 .- Contao faster than Joomla?

2 .- For Contao not been used in major web sites as at present they do in Joomla and Drupal?

3 .- Contao has a cleaner code?

Thanks and I hope his comments on everything from a technical and impartial
    Contao is the best CMS there is. Support your community in Spanish
    http://www.contaoespanol.com
    I do not speak English but I try to help with a translator

User

Default Re: Advantages and Disadvantages of Contao vs Joomla

The only things I can say about Contao vs Joomla is that as a programmer I promise you that Contao HAS a framework and is very well set up. Joomla code seems less well. I have integrated my own internet application into both systems, and the Joomla way required me to write an overly complicated plugin (considering the result), where in Contao I gained much more control over what happens when with less code. This leads me to say that:

- Contao has a much better framework and is better written (ceaner code)
    - Contao gives more control because it by default gives you almost nothing to work with but clean html.

I'm trying to find a Joomla advantage, but I'll let you know as soon as I do!

Drupal is even worse then Joomla, I know because I've build at least 10 websites using it. Most have been replaced by Contao. I cannot understand why one would use Drupal. Drupal is also even worse when looking at presets. Lots of HTML has been preset and detemines how the website looks.

ps, I normally recognize a Joomla site by just looking at the frontend. This must be a disadvantage surely? Contao has no style presets that identify it by just looking at the frontend...

ps, I see no reason why Joomla CAN be used for a big website and Contao can't. However, for big corporate websites I'd use neither, but Typo3 instead.

Interesting your comments, I hope other users of joomla and Contao can participate.

Thanks

I previously used Joomla extensively before moving over to Contao. I can tell you that the advantage goes to Contao in most areas, which is why we ditched Joomla entirely.

Adding to Vera's points:

From the developer's perspective:

• The Contao framework is worth the advantage alone. It's flexible, extendable, and creates a highly efficient workflow environment that allows you quickly create highly customized functionality for your sites. I found Joomla to really be lacking any sort of development framework, like Vera mentions.

From the designer's perspective:

• Contao allows you to quickly customize and template just about every aspect of your site. I found the output on the Joomla side to be a little rigid in some areas, and I found it hard to work with. Being able to use the CSS editor means that I can also develop the site from the ground up almost entirely within Contao.

From the end-user (client) perspective:

• Being able to set the permissions so effectively on the back-end makes it easy for me to give clients access to only what they need and nothing more. The more skilled the client, the more I can just open up the permissions. It makes it easy for me, and easy for them.

Also, The thing that drove my clients nuts was that since Joomla had no real framework, when they jumped between the equivalent of Articles and some 3rd party extension, the UI could change dramatically, and I would spend a lot of time coaching them through what went where. The consistent UI in Contao means that once my clients understand the basics they can usually navigate to other areas and figure out what is going on... The learning curve is smaller.

The only disadvantages of Contao I would say are a smaller user base, which means fewer extensions, and that the English documentation is lacking. However, I would argue that while Contao's extension list is smaller, it has more higher-quality extensions that use the framework the way they should.

As far as speed, I think Contao does everything well, and yes, the code is cleaner. In fact, the code is impressively lightweight for what it does.

I think Contao has been "our little secret" for the past few years. I have been in more than a handful of new business pitches where I knew my competitor was going to pitch Joomla or Drupal, and usually after a 10-minute demo with the client there's no contest. We have probably built out over 100 sites on it already and the projects are getting bigger and bigger, and Contao performs well in all cases.

Hi winanscreative,

Excellent your appreciation.

I work with Joomla 1.0 version generates me a lot
    problems. Contao to happen to me pleasure and I have not had any
    problem to my clients.

New user

i am using joomla 2 years
    what i like joomla:
    1 thounsands of extensions in jed
    extensions.joomla.org
    2 many nice joomla templates free or paid
    with very stunning ajax tab,slideshow effct
    3 many useful article s and tutorials tech me how to do something about joomla 's design,hack

what i don't like:
    1 sef url,joomla 's static url is not so good and sh404sef is not free now
    2 joomla's section and categority article system is really bad, i have to use K2,but k2 is not native
    3 joomla 's permission system is also bad

i don't like drupal,drupal is too hard to design and learn

New user

Hello, I am the proud new owner of a website built with Contao. I am impressed by the possibilities and user-friendliness, and am now considering having other sites built with it, too. I have a question about Vera’s mentioning rather using Typo3 for big sites. This suggests limitations in Contao?

Experienced user

Pepin,

I have not worked with Typo3 extensively, but I do not know of any limitations regarding website size in Contao. Maybe Vera will jump back in and share her thoughts.