Thread: Newbie News problems

New user

Default Newbie News problems

Hi all,

Just trying Cantao for the first time and a lot of the aspects of the CMS have been fairly easy to grasp.

However, I am struggling with the news section.

I have created a News archive and added articles fine. However, I am struggling to implement it on the website.

I have added the 'News List' module to the page and it displays the news headlines fine. However, the link to the article does not work.

I guess I am missing something easy but fundamental here. Can anyone advise me on what step(s) I have missed?

I have tried the forum, guide and demo to no avail.

The work in progress is here: http://www.flosky.com/fifty_plus_test/i ... -base.html

Thanks for any help.

Experienced user

Default Re: Newbie News problems

You need to create a new page to show your full news article. That page should have the news reader module somewhere on it.

In the settings for your news listing module, you can choose a redirect page -- choose this newly created page.
    Brian

User

Have you checked out the videos page? Haven't watched the video myself but there is one titled 'How to use the news module'
    http://www.contao.org/books-and-videos.html

New user

Hi Medianomaly,

Thanks for your reply.

I have created a new page for the news article and inserted the news reader module.

However, under the news listing module I could not find the redirect page option. Where would this be on the page?

Within the news archive I changed the re-direct link to the new page and it took me a stage further, displaying the article page and comments. However, the article itself is not displayed.

http://www.flosky.com/fifty_plus_test/i ... -base.html

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

New user

Vinchenzison,

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the video before but it does not show the actual set-up just how to use the news function once it has been.

It is a good video but it does not cover this aspect.

If I get my head around these things then I am happy to help write up guides in English if they help at all.

Cheers.

Experienced user

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonvalcea
    However, under the news listing module I could not find the redirect page option. Where would this be on the page?

Within the news archive I changed the re-direct link to the new page and it took me a stage further, displaying the article page and comments. However, the article itself is not displayed.
    Whoops... misspoke. You are correct -- the news archive is where that's set.

Just to double-check this should be your setup:

1. Listing Page that Contains News Listing Module, with the Proper Archive(s) Selected
    2. Reader Page that Contains the News Reader Module, also with Proper Archive(s) Selected
    3. News Archive Created that Redirects to the Reader Page
    Brian

New user

Hi Medianomaly,

Thanks for your continued support.

However, I still cannot get it to quite work. My own stupidity I know!

The page displays fine, but the articles will still not display:

http://www.flosky.com/fifty_plus_test/i ... -base.html

Here are the full steps I have followed to see if you can spot what is missing.

- Set up news archive and name it 'Knowledge Base'
    - Create a 'Knowledge Base' page (link above) and a 'News Reader' page which is under the 'Knowledge Base' page within the site structure
    - News archive redirects to the 'News reader' page
    - Created 'news list' and 'news reader' modules
    - Both modules link to the 'Knowledge Base' news archive
    - 'News list' module are set to 'Show all news items' and both set to the 'news-latest' template
    - Within 'Knowledge Base' page, under main column, add 'News list' module
    - Within 'News reader' page, under main column, add 'News reader' module

Have I maybe missed a page to display the article properly?

I also set-up a fresh news archive (with different name in case the Knowledge Base name was causing an issue) but encountered the same issue and also deleted old articles and added new ones with no success.

Have I made an mistake with the articles themselves? The redirect target for articles is set to default.

Thanks again for all your help.

Experienced user

On the news reader module, change the template to "news_full".

Did that do the trick?
    Brian

New user

Impeccable logic Medianomaly!

Got it working.

Thanks for your help again. I owe you a whisky