Thread: BRAINSTORM: User targeting support in contao

New user

Default BRAINSTORM: User targeting support in contao

I am a big fan of contao because it gives me control in every aspect of my websites where other CMS solutions fail to do so. I would like to share some ideas in the hope that they will help to make contao an even better and more versatile peace of software. This is only one of them

User targeting support in contao would introduce the possibility to interact with your users in a better, more personal way.
    The Member profile module would allow you to create member profiles based on an collection of AND/OR statements. Articles, banners and newsletters would give the option to target only the members in these profiles.

Some of the possibilities would include
    - Show articles to certain members only. for example; a welcome message upon there first login.
    - Show an article to visitors that use IE and ask them to try another browser.
    - "Intelligent" newsletter campaigns.
    - "Intelligent" banner campaigns.

Because contao does not collect information about visitors who don't have a member profile, this module would initially not be soutable to use for all visitors, just registered members. Google uses a technique where they use they combine the users browser version, add-ons, settings widow width etc. to create an unique finger print for this user. Maybe this same technique would make it possible to identify visitors in contao that are not yet logged in.

See the image below for a more visual representation.
    (The image does not yet display the page where you can configure an AND/OR statement)

User

Default Re: BRAINSTORM: User targeting support in contao

Sounds very promising!

New user

To bad i'm not a great programmer myself :? But I think the possibilities are endless..

Experienced user

David,

That's a pretty good idea you have for making content more dynamic for frontend members. Maybe a developer will take inspiration from your concepts.