Thread: Extension Idea: CSS id/class select menu for CE's

Experienced user

Default Extension Idea: CSS id/class select menu for CE's

The situation
    I'm working on a site where I have several set CSS classes for various content elements, that need to be set to ensure proper styling. The classes I'm using are: contentPrimary, contentSecondary, contentAction, contentCase. It's easy enough for me to remember this when I'm adding the content, but I anticipate that it will be a challenge for my client to remember the classes that I'm using.

The solution
    It would be great if there was an extension similar to tags where any id or class that is added to a content element is automatically added to a selectable tag cloud. This way, site editors don't have to remember the exact wording and can just pick from the list a previously-used selectors.

How does everyone else handle situations like this? If there another solution, method or extension that I'm overlooking? Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Experienced user

Default Re: Extension Idea: CSS id/class select menu for CE's

Ben, have you tried the dma_elementgenerator extension?
    http://www.contao.org/extension-list/vi ... 14.en.html

Not exactly what you are looking for -- but it lets you define your own content elements, which you build in a very similar manner as when you create fields in a catalog.

You could either create a custom CE for each case, or create one with a select field for each class option. And then you can create a custom template that adds the class as needed.

I use this extension quite a bit. I'm a little worried because Carsten hasn't updated it since May, so I hope it's still being developed. I dropped him a donation a while back to try and show some support for it.

I don't know if it's compatible with 2.9x. Officially it isn't, but I haven't tried it myself.

Hope this helps.
    Brian

Experienced user

Default Re: Extension Idea: CSS id/class select menu for CE's

Oh, wow - that seems like a great extension! Like a one-off catalog detail page.