Thread: 110% New Guy

User

Default 110% New Guy

Hello everyone! I'm completely new to TYPOlight/Contao as well as CMSs altogether. I've been thrown into this world by my new career to fend for myself and fight through the countless searching of forums and googling for information. I'm trying to look for some kind of basic step-by-step tutorial to just create a single page of content; I'm talking 1 page, main column, plain text, maybe have the nav.bar available on there and that's it.

I've been playing w/the program... i've created a page, created articles, created elements, added content... setup my theme and templates... but when I hit preview, I get nothing but a blank, white screen. Maybe I'm doing something completely wrong? Plz help =/

I'm using Contao Open Source CMS 2.9.1, and need instruction for Contao and NOT TYPOlight as the interface and functionality is different.

Thanks for your time and help in reading this!

~Mechaflash

User

Default Re: 110% New Guy

Not sure what you say when you need directions for contao (and not TL) because they are supposedly different; they are the same program with minor changes.

Anyway, to do a setup AND get a page with contents perhaps try this one: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1417

But as far as customizing html/css goes Contao leaves you on your own. I hope you do have CSS experience?

User

Hey thanks for the link. That will definitely help. What I meant by needing help w/contao instead of TL is that I'm a very visual learner... so when the interface is different it screws me up royally. I also learn by doing so not having that being exact hurts my time management with learning this CMS =/ . I have no exp. in CSS and minimal in HTML, but I'm picking up quickly XD. I think I got the gist of building a basic site:
    Create Modules (Themes-Modules)
    Create Stylesheets (Themes-CSS)
    Create Layouts / Add in modules and css (Themes-Page Layouts)
    Create Page / Add layouts (Site Structure-New Page)

Then create content and ur off. I think I got the logical structure of it? I'm having fun so far w/it. Thx again!

(Also Learning about Linux/Unix 'no GUI interfacing' , VI Editing, PHP, Apache, MySQL, VMWARE Server, Drupal, Joomla... I feel accomplished for how much I've done in 2 weeks XD)

Experienced user

when I hit preview, I get nothing but a blank, white screen
    did you solve this?

User

Yes TY! User error XD

User

disregard

User

Quote Originally Posted by mechaflash

(Also Learning about Linux/Unix 'no GUI interfacing' , VI Editing, PHP, Apache, MySQL, VMWARE Server, Drupal, Joomla... I feel accomplished for how much I've done in 2 weeks XD)
    I've tried Drupal and Joomla. Drupal keeps on claiming it is well written and doesn't use classes but functions for good reasons. But the program honestly isn't that well written and their function structure basically does what classes are meant for. A technical disappointment, not even considering the user interface that is a pain in the ass to customize :P And Joomla I've not looked at that well, while doing so I stumbled upon TYPOlight. I did however build some extentions for Joomla which proves to be quite a lot of code to accomplish a simple thing and also gave me that nasty feeling of a framework that isn't in its optimal form anymore...
    Drawback for Contao though is that it does require more html/css experience even though there is work being done on this. But besides from (and because html/css isn't a problem for me) that I've never been happier with a CMS :D

(Which reminds me I offered to make a free template (theme) if anyone else supplies me the kick-ass design. So if you are reading this. :P )

User

Yeah the company I work for is moving away from Joomla right now, which is the only reason why I've been playing w/it to see what features Joomla has and what has been integrated into our already made websites via Joomla. They hired me on as a software test-dummy of sorts to try out new CMS software and try to do the best I can to port over their websites to a new CMS.

So far, I've had my focus solely on Contao as I believe it is a lot simpler than Drupal, but also less aggravating than Joomla as far as customization. Contao has all the bells and whistles, just finding them and learning to utilize them is a bit of a challenge (for me at least seeing as I'm completely new to this world of CMS and web design). I've read info on the new Typo program (or renamed Contao later?) and I'm intrigued to see how well all the changes will effect end-user interaction, as I do find it hard to teach someone who doesn't want to spend 40+hrs a week to learn the program as I have.

I also want to thank anyone who reads my posts and doesn't complain about "this guy is a complete nub/idiot" cause how else does a community grow w/o new people joining it right? :lol: I hope that my company allows me to use Contao for the end product of our websites and I can continue this journey and grow with all of you.

Cheers!

~Mecha