Thread: Cannot get past install.php

User

Default Cannot get past install.php

New installation on Plesk LAMP. Submit FTP details on install.php (?safe mode hack), but the same page returns.

Can anyone help? The FTP details work from the CLI, though I am using localhost - does that matter?

Help!

Tom

Default Re: Cannot get past install.php

Try to add your FTP credentials directly in your local configuration file "localconfig.php"

http://www.contao.org/using-the-safe-mode-hack.html
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

User

Perfect: that fixed it. I then had a permissions problem (on the licence page). I solved that via chmod -R 777 /contao/install/dir/contao/system/*, which seems a little extreme. What permissions should be set in the installation?

Anyway, I'm fully installed now, so many thanks for the very quick help.

Tom

PS I wonder why the web interface didn't work for setting the FTP details? Presumably permissions as well. Is there documentation of how permissions should be set throughout the Contao installation?

Experienced user

Run the Contao Check Tool (contao-check.php - from Download page) and it will show you the permissions needed for each file.
    Generally 755 for folders, 644 for files works

User

Thanks - that helped. It wasn't CHMOD I needed, but CHOWN. That got rid of the error I originally posted, too.

Perhaps the check tool should be included in the core downloaded, and should be called as the first step when one tries to run the install script?

Thanks again

Tom

Experienced user

Most modern hosting companies will run a suPHP which switches the user to the FTP user when running the webserver process. This ensures that the webserver is only using the ownership of the FTP hosting space and that all files created using the webserver have FTP permissions. Your problem will re-appear when you try to make folders in the File Manager, because and ownership change will not affect NEW files/folders. Those will then still be owned by "www" which is not correct for your installation and therefore needing the FTP hack to change the ownership of "www" to "myftpuser"