Thread: Isotope and breadcrumbs

User

Default Isotope and breadcrumbs

I have a structure (as it appears when rendered out into the browser) as follows:

Home
    -category1
    --productA
    --productB
    -category2
    --productC
    --productD

When I navigate to one of the product pages, the breadcrumb trail does not include the category: it just says Home > Product details. My product reader page is a sibling of the category pages, a child of the home page.

How can I get the product reader page's breadcrumbs to show Home > Category1 > Product details?

Thanks

Tom

User

Default Re: Isotope and breadcrumbs

No easy way to this issue. I have same trouble.
    Looks like you use Contao breadcrumb module, but it parse structure from child to parent only.
    I think that's (breadcrumb) need to be include in Isotope as a widget\module and parse path ProductReader -> Product Category -> Parent(s) -> Root.

Blair?

Workin' on it...

User

Now that's what I call service.

User

On a related issue, using the structure cited above, when I click to view the details of a product, I would hope that the URL would be:

www.domain.com/Category1/ProductA

However, it displays as:

www.domain.com/shop/product/ProductA (given my page names, obviously).

I guess what I am driving at is the fact that the products appear to be seamlessly integrated into the Contao navigation structure, but, in reality, this is not the case.

I realise this is probably an issue which others might not rate as important, and which also might prove tricky to resolve, but I think it's worthy of mention.

Thanks again

Tom

The URL syntax is actually related to the querystring and not a folder structure. It's the equivalent of writing:

www.domain.com/shop.html?product=myProduct

So the product needs to be there unless we set up some custom htaccess RewriteRules, which I don't think would be very hard...

So back to the breadcrumb module, I've been doing some experimenting. The best I can get right now is it to look at your referring page and determine the most likely page scope you could have taken to get to that product. It works great EXCEPT when you have a listing of products in a parent category and you visit from the parent category and not the product's subcategory, and that product may or may not belong to another subcategory of that parent. In that case, it's obviously a little ambiguous as to which path you take. My feeling is that in that case you would simply list the referring category. It's probably confusing but I have been looking at a number of different scenarios and trying to get a solution together that fits them all...

I will keep you posted!

User

This sounds as though it would work pretty well - the ambiguity of category/subcategory would still be an improvement on the current behaviour. How about when one linked to a product from the Search results? Or from the home page? I guess it still would be an improvement on the current bevahiour, though, so this sounds like good progress.

Thanks again

Tom

Hey everyone... I just released the first iteration of the Isotope Breadcrumb module. Let me know what you think and how it works. You can grab it in the extension repository or here:

http://www.contao.org/extension-list/vi ... 03.en.html