Thread: Screen blanks on edit user group

User

Default Screen blanks on edit user group

Hi,

just checking - is this just me or ...

after installation of Isotope I cannot do anything in the user groups settings.
    Whenever I try to edit an existing user group or add a new group I just get a blank screen - I was able to edit user groups before adding Isotope.

I tried both on an existing (Contao 2.9.2 + Isotope 0.2.4 + some more modules) and a brand new clean install of Contao 2.9.2 + isotope 0.2.5. Both behave the same.

Help?

Regards,

Rob

User

Default Re: Screen blanks on edit user group

Aarrhhggg....

I've just updated Isotope to 0.2.6 build 4 but I still cannot edit or add user groups.

I really need some input from other users - is this just me or is this a genuine Isotope bug ???

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob65,

Quote Originally Posted by Rob65
    I really need some input from other users
    Ok, here we go:
    • open the back end module "Settings"[/*:m:bdpdqgov]
    • enable the option "Display error messages" in the "Security settings" section[/*:m:bdpdqgov]

I guess the value for the "Memory limit" is not enough ("Fatal error: Allowed memory size of xxx bytes exhausted") to load all the DCA arrays and language variables. Check this either with Contao's System Check Tool or by executing the function "phpinfo()".
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

User

Thanks,

I already up'ed my memory limit to 20 MB.
    Now I just discovered that I need more than 20 MB just to edit the system settings ?????
    I'm not an experienced PHP programmer but this looks a lot to me.

Luckily I manage my own server so I'll try to assign a bit more memory when I'm back home tonight (still no ssh on my iPad ...)

Rob

Hi Rob-

Just tried it on the Isotope Demo store and there are no issues... I would turn on Display Error Messages as suggested as they should give you a better idea of what is happening...

User

Thanks both of you,

Problem solved.
    Why did I not think of switching on the "Display Error Messages" before ...
    Let this be a lessons for all those other mor.... out there ops:

Just returned to the office and immediately fired up ssh to change the server settings.

But I am a bit confused that I suddenly need "memory_limit = 35 MB" in my php.ini for this to work - who would have thought that changing user group settings in Isotope takes this many memory ...
    But than - I am glad it was that easy to solve

Just out of curiosity, what kind of memory_limit have you set in your systems?
    What would be a good advice to new Contao/Isotope users?
    This is something worth mentioning in the Isotope manual - or something to add in an FAQ.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob65,

who would have thought that changing user group settings in Isotope takes this many memory ...
    It is not only Isotope. Depends also on the number of third-party extensions installed by you. As said, when you edit the user group DB record Contao loads all the DCA arrays and language variables for all installed extensions. You could try to disable some of the installed extensions in the back end module "Settings", section "Inactive extensions" or uninstall extensions which are not longer used.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of memory_limit have you set in your systems?
    64MB / 128MB ...

What would be a good advice to new Contao/Isotope users?
    64MB

This is something worth mentioning in the Isotope manual - or something to add in an FAQ.
    Maybe.
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

User

It is not only Isotope. Depends also on the number of third-party extensions installed by you.
    My system just has Isotope plus its required extensions. - I tested this with the demo shop.

But don't get me wrong, I won't complain too much. Isotope is so much better than comparable systems like ... Nope, no comparison possible here

FAQ/Manual ... meanwhile I have some experience that I should write down somewhere ...

Rob

I think xchs means that it is not Isotope's fault, and you could easily replicate it if you installed 100 smaller extensions. Isotope just uses a ton of tables/fields/DCAs (because it has a lot of stuff to do :D ), and because the User Group settings store info in large serialized arrays, it produces a lot of overhead.

I run everything on a min of 64MB memory, which I think is fairly standard... I know that the System Check tool for Contao requires a minimum of 16MB, but I think that is low, especially when you try and use the Multiple Edit function on a bunch of records. You will break that limit very quickly doing that out of the box in Contao.