Thread: Using the Internal Comments Feature

Experienced user

Default Using the Internal Comments Feature

According to the development team for the Catalog (http://contao-forge.org/issues/1206), the comments system is deprecated and only included for backwards compatibility. Supposedly we can use the core comments module to do the same thing now.

My question is, how? I can't figure out how to comment on an individual catalog entry. It seems as though when a comment module placed on a reader page, any comments are displayed on all catalog entries. I don't see any options to customize this or to provide a filter/check.

I know Ga.N has the Comment Everything extension that can do what I want, but since the claim has been made that I can do this with the core only, I'd just like to know anyway out of curiosity.

Thanks!
    Brian

New user

Default Re: Using the Internal Comments Feature

The comments are to be configured just as it was all the time before.

You simply check "allow comments" on the catalog.

We just switched to the Contao internal comments system "under the surface".
    For you everything is unchanged (aside from the fact that the comments are now being listed in the backend navigation under "Comments" and not within the catalog itself).

Regards
    Chris

Experienced user

Is this something that's already happened? Or going to happen with the next release?

When I add a comment to a catalog entry right now, I don't see it in the main comments section, but I do see it in the catalog comments area.

I guess what's confusing me both here and on the ticket is I can't tell if you are talking future-tense or present-tense. Do you mean this hasn't happened yet, but will?

Thanks!
    Brian

Hi Medianomaly,
    i think this is in the version in the SVN. So you can get it now if you want to.

regards
    Mediendepot Ruhr
    For real-time chat the (inofficial) Chatroom in IRC:
    -> irc.freenode.net #contao | irc.freenode.net #contao.de

Experienced user

The comments will be rendered by the Catalog Reader, so there should be no need for another comments module. I developed the comments section, but at the time I handed the code over and it was integrated into the existing code by xtra. I'm not sure it was ever completely done and merged into a published version.

Experienced user

Yeah that all makes sense.

I was just foggy on the response to my ticket... I think it was a language thing and I misunderstood.

Thanks all. I look forward to the next release.
    Brian