Thread: Install contao on localhost without FTP-Access

New user

Default Install contao on localhost without FTP-Access

Hi everybody,

I am new to the system and tried to install it locally on my machine. I didn't install a FTP server and don't have it in mind. But as I understood it reading other threads, it is not possible with the present contao version because SMH is already built in.

As I on my local machine and maybe also others on their even hosted web space can easily chmod the needed files to "writable" manually, why did you decide for going this restrictive way? What is the purpose of SMH, really just to chmod the needed files and folders or is there any other reason I cannot see at this point?

Also, from PHP 5.3 on, save_mode is at least marked as obsolete.
    Has anybody found a possibility by changing code to get past this first installation step?

Thanks for your answers!

Regards
    Marco

Experienced user

Default Re: Install contao on localhost without FTP-Access

If the webserver is able to write the files and safe mode is disabled then you would normally be able to use Contao as normal, without the SMH. Chmod your TL_ROOT/system/config/localconfig.php file to 666; that should solve the problem.

Safe Mode Hack is a mode I never use; it is optional, not set as standard and intended to be used if without the system does not fully work. Of course you do need to set up the system correctly to be sure you do not need the SMH. I think it is presented upon problems for ease of use for less crafty users, I like the option.

I've never had this problem though, that is because I always had the localconfig file writable by the server. I did a short search on the contao website and found the installation instructions regarding the safe mode hack. It is outdated, but does address the problem... http://www.contao.org/using-the-safe-mode-hack.html

New user

Hi Ruud,

thanks for your reply.
    I could resolve the "problem" in the mean time making /system/config/localconfig.php writable during the setup process. I didn't just expect the setup routine managing the knowledge of "writable" or "not writable" for me :-) That also wasn't clearly said on the wiki page you linked (thanks anyway!).

After I set chmod /system/config/localconfig.php to "writable" the rest of the setup routine worked well for me.

For the usability experts of you, maybe it's a good feature request to point it out on the very first installation step like: "Either you know what you do making this file writable or you use the FTP option we offer". Also, if the config file has not been set back to 644 after the installation, a big red banner shall come up to show up your misconfiguration, innit?

Just my 2 ct's

Regards
    Marco

Experienced user

It is not a workaround. If you want to change any setting that file needs o be written. Why would you want it to not be writable?

Do not forget to check the tmp and html directories and other places that need to be writable or else errors keep on coming up.

I do agree; the setup should not just offer to use FTP, but point out why it is not working with the normal routines. You should add a ticket for that. (see contao website "report a bug" on the top left)

Experienced user

The system check tool, available on the Website, will tell you if there are any issues with file permissions, among other things.

http://www.contao.org/configuring-the-live-server.html
    Brian

New user

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Ruud
    If you want to change any setting that file needs o be written. Why would you want it to not be writable?
    Sure. Usually, once your basic configuration is made, the file is read only by the system. For possible security issues I would chmod it back to 644 after the setup routine.

I do agree; the setup should not just offer to use FTP, but point out why it is not working with the normal routines. You should add a ticket for that. (see contao website "report a bug" on the top left)
    I tried to register but couldn't log in :-( Sorry mates...

Quote Originally Posted by Medianomaly
    The system check tool, available on the Website, will tell you if there are any issues with file permissions, among other things.
    Thank you very much. Appreciate your help!

Regards
    Marco

Experienced user

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Steinhaeuser
    Hi,

If you want to change any setting that file needs o be written. Why would you want it to not be writable?
    Sure. Usually, once your basic configuration is made, the file is read only by the system. For possible security issues I would chmod it back to 644 after the setup routine.
    Some systems even require to make these settings. I understand why you would do it, and there are some valid arguments. Contao actually somewhere hints you might want to remove install.php after setup. I know security is taken seriously in Contao development so I'm sort of feeling safe. A problem might arise regardless of my feelings. But in the end I think the system is only as safe as your passwords.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Steinhaeuser
    I tried to register but couldn't log in :-( Sorry mates...
    Odd, perhaps you should submit a ticket on that as well?

Good luck!

New user

Will submit a TT as soon as possible. Task is on my list.

Cheers
    Marco

User

was ftp needed in 2011? i just copy-paste and replace the files

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy2 View Post
    i just copy-paste and replace the files
    On your local machine?
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options