Thread: Can this be done?

New user

Default Can this be done?

Hello, I'm looking for a CMS to develop a site where all the content will be added by registered users.
    The users will post info about different places in the city. Choosing a country, a city, entering the place name, a description, address, URL, locating it in Google maps, uploading a photo/s.
    Then the anonymous visitors of the site should be able to make a good search through the posts, for example find me all the posts that talk about restaurants in Paris/France.

What do you think? Contao can achieve that?

Thanks in advance.

Experienced user

Default Re: Can this be done?

Hi Silverado,
    Contao would be excellent for all this, but perhaps not without some customisation on your part.
    Knowing a bit of php always helps for customising.
    You probably need to check out available extensions (modules) to see which ones meet your requirements.
    Or the showroom section to see what similar sites have been developed (the developers often say what modules they used)

Experienced user

I'd normally attempt this with the extension "catalog". You can install it from the repository. Version 2 should allow for user editing and you are free to define any catalog type.

However, if you are a bit more skilled with php it might be a good idea to build a custom extension yourself. Thyon who created much of the catalog extension has told me he finds it easier then using catalog on many occasions. Of course he is pretty well practiced at making custom extensions...

User

Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Hello, I'm looking for a CMS to develop a site where all the content will be added by registered users.
    Ruud recommends using catalog (I've never used it before so I don't know what it does =/), but Ruud usually knows what modules to use in certain situations, so mess with catalog. But, without Catalog to edit, they would have to be registered as a Contao User for your site and gain access to the back-end of the site. I believe Contao has no ability to create articles from the front-end (only the backend). I know that we have an extension available to do editing of already created content through the front-end but again, check out Catalog as Ruud suggests.

The users will post info about different places in the city. Choosing a country, a city, entering the place name, a description, address, URL, locating it in Google maps, uploading a photo/s.
    As far as posting information like country, city, description etc. there's a couple of different ways you can approach that in contao. We do have an extension to interface w/googlemaps and the ability to upload photos are built into article features.

Then the anonymous visitors of the site should be able to make a good search through the posts, for example find me all the posts that talk about restaurants in Paris/France.

Again, a few ways to do this. First thing that popped into my head was Search and cloud tags. But then again, I've never used catalog, but I hear it has the ability to easily categorize data for retrieval/searching.

What do you think? Contao can achieve that?
    It can, it will take a bit of work, but it can, and it will do it better than any other CMS on and off the market.