Thread: What About a New Section in the Forum?

Experienced user

Default What About a New Section in the Forum?

Maybe a sub of the extensions forum, devoted entirely to deciphering what certain inadequately documented (and unsupported) extensions actually do.

Maybe it could work something like this -- when someone comes across an extension that maybe sounds intriguing, they take one for the team and install it, just to see what it does. then they post the results of their investigation to the forum for others to take note.

On the flip-side people could also post requests -- maybe if they can't figure it out themselves or don't have the time.

This is inspired by several extensions I've seen in recent months, my all-time favorite being one headlined "contaolinks", with the ever-so-insightful description of "contaolinks". Really.
    Brian

Experienced user

Default Re: What About a New Section in the Forum?

Let me just add I don't mean to pick on anyone, nor diminish the effort someone may put into an extension that they're willing to share with the community.

However, I do think it looks bad. For a CMS that's trying to gain popularity, a repository full of extensions with 3-word descriptions don't really do it any favors.

And this is one way I can think of that maybe I can contribute.
    Brian

User

Well, I guess you will find literally all information on german forums... :?
    The idea isn't bad itself, but I think it shouldn't be a forum category - maybe a subpage on Contao.org?

Experienced user

I guess in a perfect world, it would be nice to have something intertwined with the repository (notes/comments). That would probably actually be a better idea. I just figured it would be more likely to happen on the forums, however.

I did think this would be a more popular suggestion, though...
    Brian

Experienced user

Someone translated my extension to German, that is, she added a description based on the text that I had in English or Dutch at that moment. I'm not sure how that works, but I can edit her translation and I guess she can as well. Won't that system suffice? (Assuming it can be used)

Perhaps a wiki site?

Experienced user

OK -- so maybe if I were a translator, I would be able to do that too? I see information on being a core translator, but nothing on extensions, though.

Was/would I be able to edit the description in the repository too, or just the extension's language itself?

There's also the reviews section, which I keep forgetting about. I guess that wouldn't be the worst place to put a summary, either.
    Brian

User

Using a translator (e.g. Googletranslate) to go back and forth between documentation and editing then retranslating is just a bad idea... soon you'll get a line that stated before:

"This is my awesome module that does many things"
    to
    "My module does awesome is this my things many"

That's pretty much how my post looked like on the German forums... even when I used proper English and punctuation when I translated.