Thread: Concrete5 vs Contao

User

Default Concrete5 vs Contao

Does anyone have any experience with Conrete5? Our competitor uses it. I've setup a demo to try. It features on page editing, which probably takes some getting used to, but is clear to clients because they tend to have difficulties with Contao's alternate look in the backend. Furthermore it features pages that contain blocks (unlike Koomla and Drupal and such, but exactly like Contao). In the backend I could set several things but didn't dig into it in detail.

I'm hoping someone can tell me about the pros and cons of this CMS? ops:

User

Default Re: Concrete5 vs Contao

39 people have glared at this post in disgust =P

I looked at Concrete when I was researching CMS to use for our company's project, and it comprised of too many pay-for modules (and that was a turn off for the boss) so I moved on. Never got to play with it however...

User

lots of commercial module, more than free :

http://www.concrete5.org/marketplace/addons/

Experienced user

I've looked at Concrete5 as well. Big disadvantages are that it seems it uses a lot of resources, the first page takes seconds to load and extension are often paid for. I'm not sure if it has any pro's compared to Contao, but it probably has some.

offtopic
    Quote Originally Posted by synergie
    lots of commercial module, more than free :

http://www.concrete5.org/marketplace/addons/
    I had great fun trying to read anything on the bottom of that page, you should try it!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ruud
    I had great fun trying to read anything on the bottom of that page, you should try it!
    Me too :-) I thought that is "neverending story" :-)
    Marcin

http://www.contao.pl - Polish Support Site
    http://forum.contao.pl - Polish Contao community forum

-----------------------
    Need custom template? Feel free to contact me by e-mail marcin@contao.pl

New user

I have websites running on Concrete5. Both Conrete5 and Contao are very fast running localhost. But on the same hosting plan (shared, not VPS) Concrete 5 really takes a larger hit in performance. It's quite slow to load pages or do anything with it. It is quite easy to use yes. The news is like an entirely new page compare to Contao's news, which is quite nice. But Contao wins, hands down when it comes to content management and form generating. And contao's gallery modules with auto resize and auto sand box is seriously unbeatable.

From my experience tho, if I want front end editing, I'd go for Unify CMS for my clients. It can run along side Contao just fine. All Unify does is front end edit, that's all. Concrete 5 can do more such as adding new pages but my clients rarely needed to add new pages on their own - they usually just wanted to change minor things.

Experienced user

Quote Originally Posted by jpenguin
    From my experience tho, if I want front end editing, I'd go for Unify CMS for my clients. It can run along side Contao just fine. All Unify does is front end edit, that's all. Concrete 5 can do more such as adding new pages but my clients rarely needed to add new pages on their own - they usually just wanted to change minor things.
    Unify will not work on the Contao content though...