Thread: will Contao work without SOAP?

New user

Default will Contao work without SOAP?

As topic? I asked the host I want to use about Contao's requirement and he said SOAP is the only thing missing. The download page mentioned SOAP is only used for extensions repository, that means I won't be able to install any extensions?

Experienced user

Default Re: will Contao work without SOAP?

No, It means you'll have to manually install extensions (place in system/modules folder and run contao/install.php) however I think there is an extension in the repository to get round this.
    Searching "soap" on the forums should find a reference to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jpenguin
    Contao work without SOAP?
    Yes, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by ramjet
    ...however I think there is an extension in the repository to get round this.
    Indeed, there's an extension called [nusoap] that accomplishes this job pretty good.
    Check the manual for installation procedure!
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

New user

Thank you for the link! :D

Before I pay for the hosting, I'm a bit curious about using the extension. So first, I will be able to install the Contao CMS normally? It doesn't check SOAP at that step? I then install the extension right afterwards?

So first, I will be able to install the Contao CMS normally?
    Yes! You will NOT need SOAP for installation. The minimum system requirements you find on contao.org: http://www.contao.org/configuring-the-l ... quirements

You need the SOAP extension only for communication with the repository server (ER / Extension Repository) if and only if you want to install extensions directly from the back end. However, the installation of Contao extensions can also be done "by hand" (that, BTW, was the default way before introduction of the ER): http://www.contao.org/repository.html

Anyway, like already mentioned, the extension "nusoap" will do this job very well. So just install the extension and you will have (nearly) the same functionality like with the SOAP extension. Try it.

It doesn't check SOAP at that step?
    No. SOAP is no system requirement and definitely not needed to install Contao on a web server. You can run the Contao System Check Tool to check if everything is fine (except, of course, the notice for missing SOAP extension)

I then install the extension right afterwards?
    Yes, exactly. Like described in the manual.
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

New user

Quote Originally Posted by xchs
    You need the SOAP extension only for communication with the repository server (ER / Extension Repository) if and only if you want to install extensions directly from the back end. However, the installation of Contao extensions can also be done "by hand" (that, BTW, was the default way before introduction of the ER): http://www.contao.org/repository.html
    Thanks for the clarification! That's a relief :D The requirement page says "optionally" options are mbstring and mcrypt. Kind of gave me the impression that all other things are necessary ^-^;