Thread: Are CSS files no longer created in version 2.10?

User

Default Are CSS files no longer created in version 2.10?

Ok, so in the "old" days, when you created a stylesheet in Contao, it would actually create the file as a .css file and put it into the route. For example, I created a stylesheet called structure and it created structure.css in the route.

I'm not seeing these files anymore? Is that a new feature in version 2.10?

I know the stylesheets were just being saved into the database before anyway, so maybe it was pointless to actually create the .css files before, but I don't see an "export" option if I want to use the same stylesheet on a different install. Any thoughts?

Experienced user

Default Re: Are CSS files no longer created in version 2.10?

Contao has a new folder for that; TL_ROOT/system/scripts. On top of that it combines generated stylesheets into one larger stylesheet which is more efficient in file transfers and file requests between client and server which gives a better pagespeed. This in turn may increase your google ranking a (tiny) bit. The combined file has a filename alike system/scripts/5a837cd110.css.

Another reason why this has been done (for as far as I know) is that Contao claimed every .css file inside the root (also ones created by someone else and uploaded there manualy) and even deleted them as soon as it happened to come up. It is a much neater solution to have a specific system folder to keep generated files in.

User

Default Re: Are CSS files no longer created in version 2.10?

Thanks, that's what I was looking for