Thread: Page not found after Live Update

New user

Default Page not found after Live Update

Hi all,

I hope someone can advise me on the following.

I have just upgraded to version 2.10.1 using a Live update ID and it seemed to install fine. However, now the website is down and simply displays 'Page not found'.

Is there a setting or two to change to re-activate the site? The Admin side is OK and no information appears to have been lost in terms of the website content. However, it is just not displaying the website at all.

Apologies if this is a basic error and there is an easy fix that I have missed!

Thanks for any help.

Graeme

Experienced user

Default Re: Page not found after Live Update

A few steps you can try; try the Contao system check tool

If all files are indeed ok, then proceed at the backend and check the following:

1. Your site structure starts from a website root page
      (can be confusing as they have the same icon as the tree structure widget itself)[/*:m:2saepbqq]
    2. Each root page has a language set, but one website root page is marked as fallback language[/*:m:2saepbqq]
    3. You have at least one theme.[/*:m:2saepbqq]
    4. You have at least one page layout in your theme[/*:m:2saepbqq]
    5. At least one page layout is set as default[/*:m:2saepbqq]

I think that's it. After that usually that message disappears when I start new projects from scratch.

In addition to the points mentioned by Ruud, read my remarks about "Page not found": viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3356#p14434
    Edit the page settings of the page of type "Website root" and check the field "Domain name". If there is already entered a domain name, then consider that it is a difference if you enter a third-level domain name (e.g. all "www" domains) or just a second-level domain name (without "www" and/or a subdomain name).
    Contao Community Moderator
    → Support options

New user

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice.

I ran the system check tool which came back with no errors bar mentioning that there were no installation files found. Could this be an issue?

Taking the other checks in turn.

1. The site structure did not seem to start with a website root page before and after the upgrade. I made sure that the index page became the website root page but the same error remained on the website.
    2. This was set correctly.
    3. Yes
    4. Yes
    5. Not set as default before and after upgrade. However, setting one as the default did not seem to make any change.

Xchs: In the website root there was no domain name entered. Should there be something entered there?

Thanks again for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonvalcea
    1. The site structure did not seem to start with a website root page before and after the upgrade. I made sure that the index page became the website root page but the same error remained on the website.
    I guess there is still a problem with your structure and your "Website root". Please check the site structure in the Contao Online Demo! There must be one root page an all other (regular) pages must be within this root page (i.e. one level deeper). You must be able to collapse/expand the entire site structure by clicking the +/- symbol on the "Website root" page.

In the website root there was no domain name entered. Should there be something entered there?
    Not necessarily. There should be entered a domain name if you have set up a so called multi-domain installation.
    If there is entered a domain name, Contao responds only on this hostname. Additionally, now it makes a difference whether there is entered a "www" or a "non-www" domain name.
    → Support options

New user

Thanks xchs.

I am probably being incredibly dim here! One thing I find odd about my site structure is that what should be the website root can not be amended and does not have the option to expand, minimise or add pages within it. But as you say there must be a root page.

In the demo I have the equivalent of the 'Contao Open Source CMS Demo' header in the site structure which then lists all the regular pages below.

Every page below is a regular page. Have I maybe set it up wrong initially? I have moved the home page to the top of the pile (above 404), changed it to a website root page and moved other pages within it. However, it was still giving me the page not found error.

On 2.9.1 this site structure works fine but the upgrade to 2.10.1 (despite the structure not appearing to change) immediately renders the page not found error.

Is there another setting or am I missing the blindingly obvious here!

Hi hamiltonvalcea,

thx for the screenshot. Now it is clear. You still have no page of type "Website root"!

Open the back end module "Site structure", create a "New page" with page type "Website root" (this must be the first entry in your site structure).

Look at this picture:

The page of type "Website root" is the first page in the structure with name "My First Site". This is exactly how your site structure must be constructed.

When you have created the new page of type "Website root" move all other pages into this node point, i.e. all (regular) pages must be within this root page.

HTH.
    → Support options

New user

Thanks for this.

Makes perfect sense. I will try the upgrade again this weekend.

The one thing I don't understand is why the site works just now (v 2.9.1), set up without the website root, but then stops working when I upgrade to the latest version.

The one thing I don't understand is why the site works just now (v 2.9.1), set up without the website root, but then stops working when I upgrade to the latest version.
    You were just lucky that it worked like that up till now.
    But trust me: Your site structure is wrong if there is no "Website root". Contao uses this type of page for many years.
    → Support options

New user

Thanks for your advice, this sorted the problem.

Cheers,
    G