Thread: Favicon working in some places but not others

User

Default Favicon working in some places but not others

Hi,
    I've successfully installed the 'Favicon' extension and the correct favicon is appearing on all my main pages
    see www.la-design.co.uk

However, when I click on any of the PDFs for download within our website, the PDF opens in a new window with the wrong favicon at the top (i.e. our old company logo)
    I cannot find any reference to the original/wrong favicon in any of my files and the image is not in my file manager so I have no idea where it is finding this wrong image.

Because the contao site was set up by a developer who I can't contact at the moment, I'm not sure how he might have set up the original favicon.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Corrie

User

Default Re: Favicon working in some places but not others

Hello,

please check if there is a favicon.ico in your document root and delete it ir replace it with the new Favicon. The exteniosn does by now only include the code for Favicons in the HTML header. I want to add some rules for /favicon.ico redirect later (needed for multidomain setups to allow different Favicon files).

Jan
    Free support only here in the forum.
    Please report bugs for my extensions using http://www.contao-forge.org. Thanks!
    Requests for Contao support and development please send mail to jan@theofel.de

Experienced user

On my phone I don't see the favicon on the downloads. But I know they can stick for a long time even when deleted on the server.

So like suggested you can check if that favicon still exists as an online resource. You should als clear your entire browsercache to be sure the favicon you see comes from the server.

Jan, did you see the other favicon?

User

Hi,

and please use a the ICO format to place the Icon, not a PNG file. They won't work in some browsers. I can see it but don't find any downloads for testing.

Beside that:
    From SEO perspective the description should be 140-160 characters. It's far to long (at least on the pages I've checked). You can install the extension inputcount to check that while inserting the description. And the keywords - if used anyhow - be a list of keywords.

Jan
    Free support only here in the forum.
    Please report bugs for my extensions using http://www.contao-forge.org. Thanks!
    Requests for Contao support and development please send mail to jan@theofel.de

User

Thanks Jan, yes I need to sort out those descriptions!! Got pushed to the bottom of the priority list.

I'm still having problems with the favicon. I have replaced the .png file with a .ico file but now instead of the old logo (yellow dot) appearing on some pages it is now on every page, so it's got worse! (The new logo is just a blue and silver 'LA')

I can't see anywhere in my root folder where the yellow dot image even exists so i can't work out how to replace it or delete it.

The bosses are getting grumpy so i'd be grateful for any help!

Many thanks
    Corrie

User

..update..
    After re-uploading a larger favicon.ico and reconnecting it to all the pages I'm back to where i was i.e. favicon works on main pages but not downloads pages.

To see the problem look here:
    http://www.la-design.co.uk/index.php/news.html
    and click on the Digital video article, then click on 'Click here to read the full article'

This page shows the old yellow favicon

Thanks
    Corrie

User

..update..

It appears that the old favicon was hidden in my 'users' file which I found through searching Windows Explorer (Formally Documents and Settings in Windows XP)
    Now that I've deleted this, along with all my browser history, the old icon no longer appears. (Clearing the cache alone wasn't enough)

I still can't find a way to get another favicon to appear when I open a .PDF in a new window - currently these tabs either show nothing, or the standard browser icon.

Any ideas?

Thanks